OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Call Recommendations?

Started by tmcguire, March 13, 2023, 01:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcguire

Hey Fellas,

Have used a Primos Limb Hanger for years as my primary call, but trying to branch out a bit to get some different sounds I like. I still have not come across another I'd use instead of that call. Been playing around with some cheap calls and had some questions on your recommendations.

So far, for me, the uncut 2 reed limb hanger is the easiest for me to run and sound right. After that a standard combo cut sounds best, followed by the ghost cut I have. I cannot even get a reverse combo cut to run, which makes me think I am sending air down the right side of my mouth.

Do you have any recommendations on calls to try to branch out? I swear I buy like 5 different calls ever year randomly to try, this is the first year I actually learned about fitting the call to your mouth (and which side the air goes) so hopefully can be a bit more "scientific" with it  ;D

Thanks,

Tom

shatcher

tracker#1

X2 on Sadler McGraw...Ghost cut, Judge & Jury, great to deal with...

GobbleNut

Quote from: tmcguire on March 13, 2023, 01:20:21 PM

Been playing around with some cheap calls and had some questions on your recommendations.
Do you have any recommendations on calls to try to branch out? I swear I buy like 5 different calls ever year randomly to try, this is the first year

Tom, you have already hit on what you should be doing,..."playing around with some cheap calls".  Here's my recommendation for any inexperienced mouth call user who is trying to determine what call design is best for themselves. 

Find an inexpensive source for calls and have several uncut calls made up with a few different reed thicknesses (stick with thinner reed material to start with) and either two or three reed layers.  Get a sharp pair of scissors. 

Start out by trying the calls uncut (like you said, an uncut call my suit you without any modifications).  Assuming you are trying to achieve a better/different sound, your next step is to make one cut at a time, trying the call between cuts.  Here is a simple cut progression to go through:

Make a single-angle cut (like one of the cuts in a center V-cut call).  If you are a "right-side blower", you may want to make that cut a bit towards that right side (you will have to experiment a bit with that).  Try the call again, and if not satisfactory, make the other cut for that V-design.  Try it again (you will repeat this process after each additional cut).

If the V-cut doesn't suit you, I suggest you try clipping the side-tab ends (one at a time) a bit to create the "clipped-wing V-cut" (my description) and try. Next, remove one of the side tabs (right side for you from what you state) to make the combo cut,...and try again.  If that doesn't work, remove the other tab to make the batwing design.

An alternative to going the combo/batwing route is to remove the center tab of the V-cut to create the ghost cut.  Another is to try a "cutter" design.  The possibilities are endless as to where you can go by starting out with an uncut call and making cuts yourself.  You are only limited by your own imagination, and some off-the-wall design may be just what you need.

Important points to take into consideration:
Very small changes in your cuts can make a big difference in the sound of a call.  Cut small before cutting big.
You generally do not want to cut anything but the primary (top reed) of the call.  However, if you cannot get the sound you want, sometimes very small "nicks" in the secondary reeds will improve the sound. Making big cuts in the secondary reeds is generally a bad idea in that it often deadens the sound of the call. 
If you go through your entire cut progression and can't get the sound you want,...and if you are using a multiple-reed call,...just remove the entire top reed of the call and start over with the process (don't toss a call until you have run through all of your options)

Hope this helps...  :icon_thumright:
Jim

MJW

bowbird87

Sadler McGraw
Houndstooth
Pinhoti purple ghost

eggshell

Gooserbat and woodhaven are sponsors here and they both make great calls. Why not give on of the Old Gobbler supporters a shot. If you contact gooserbat he'll help you out with some choices. I have used both those brands and many others. I will say for right out of the package playability these two are top grade calls.

sixbird

Cuts and tensions are SO personalized that any advice on particular cuts and particular calls is more advice on what works best for somebody ELSE.
Gobblenut has given a great outline on how it works and I'm sure you'd end up with just what you need.
No disparagement of him because he knows his stuff but an easy way to find the cut that best suits you is to go to Calling All Turkeys and buy their diagnostic kit.
They'll have a no cut call in there, along with cut for right channel of air, left channel of air and center channel of air.
There will be instructions on how to determine what cut is best for you. Great diagnostic tool.
After you find what cut is best for you, you can get that cut from different call makers to find what you like best.
I like Pecker Wrecker calls because they're easy to use.
I recently found a call company that makes calls in three different stretches of each cut. Great business model and the calls are phenomenal and customer service is unbelievable!
It's Kluk Custom Calls.
After you determine YOUR cut, you can fine tune with KLUK.
Hope this helps.

jumiss

Woodhaven Ninja Hammer. It's deadly.

runngun

Sadler McGraw. He makes the best mouth calls I have ever used. Ghost cut is awesome and requires the slightest amount of air pressure.  His batwings and reverse cut combo are amazing. 

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

strum

My favorite call maker is  Sadler McGraw . Youll not be disappointed

paboxcall

Gooserbat. You want an easy to run 2 reed call that has the rasp of a 3 reed? Try his ICE design.

https://www.gooserbatcalls.com/product-page/ice-incredible-calling-experience
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

HILBY72

Before I made my own I used Houndstooth Calls and mainly the Tom Bomb. Lyle makes the Tom Bomb in 3 different versions. It's a great 2 reed call that is super easy to use