OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ancient Bog Oak Calls?

Started by GuideGun, March 09, 2023, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuideGun

As a forester by trade, trees and wood are pretty interested to me, especially unique stuff.  Has anyone had a call made out of Ancient bog oak wood?
Matt

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GuideGun on March 09, 2023, 09:31:26 AM
As a forester by trade, trees and wood are pretty interested to me, especially unique stuff.  Has anyone had a call made out of Ancient bog oak wood?
New one on me, can't say that I've heard of them but it interests me. I know there's a gentleman that makes them  out of petrified wood if I recall correctly, I've been wanting to try one of those as well.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ol bob

I know Bob Harwell made some box call out of a tree that had been carbon dated something like 30,000 years old.I think it was dug up somewhere in S.C.

misfire

I made a trumpet out of it three weeks ago. Turned nicely and made a pretty good call
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

aclawrence

Is bog oak any kind of ancient oak brought up out of a bog? Like sinker wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmclain

Quote from: aclawrence on March 09, 2023, 03:21:25 PM
Is bog oak any kind of ancient oak brought up out of a bog? Like sinker wood.

Yes. The Tannins in the water preserve it and turn it black.  Sinker white oak will turn black too

Yoder409

Close as I can come is I've got a Jerry White box from sinker cypress.

The blackened oak would be cool.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkey stew

Quote from: misfire on March 09, 2023, 02:20:48 PM
I made a trumpet out of it three weeks ago. Turned nicely and made a pretty good call
Was the wood stabilized?

M,Yingling

this post reminds me i got some old track timbers from a coal mine started back in 1800s dig it up 2 years or so ago mine was flooded was jet black from sitting in water maple i believe turned a darker gray after drying ,,,   roof timbers was red oak no water like brand new
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

misfire

Quote from: turkey stew on March 10, 2023, 08:58:28 AM
Quote from: misfire on March 09, 2023, 02:20:48 PM
Was the wood stabilized?

No it wasnt. But I will the next time I turn it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

afhunter1

turkey stew

afhunter1

Thank you!  He made two out of Bog Oak and he did have it stabilized first.   I got lucky and managed to own one of them. 

turkey stew

Quote from: afhunter1 on March 14, 2023, 07:02:25 PM
Thank you!  He made two out of Bog Oak and he did have it stabilized first.   I got lucky and managed to own one of them. 

You are welcome. I knew he made one. Good to stabilize or buy those types of woods already stabilized.

Terry

Quote from: afhunter1 on March 14, 2023, 06:41:41 PM