turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Diaphragm Calls

Started by TyFlyer, March 06, 2023, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyFlyer

Thanks again. I'll check out the mouth mechanics video. Sounds like a great place to start.

The Lung

Hooks calls are the easiest I found to use. Killed several turkeys since starting with them a couple years ago. Try the beginner kit, the calls in it are great to learn on.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

sbbow

Quote from: Terry on March 08, 2023, 08:38:43 AM
I'd watch "mouth call mechanics" with Shane Simpson and go from there. Maybe even start with his kit to figure out what cut you like before buying anything else. It will decrease your learning curve greatly. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/gFs--tKA46I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^
This

tmcguire

Quote from: The Lung on March 11, 2023, 02:01:08 PM
Hooks calls are the easiest I found to use. Killed several turkeys since starting with them a couple years ago. Try the beginner kit, the calls in it are great to learn on.

Actually sent him a question a few days ago and learned that he just recently passed. His nephew is now running the website. Very sad to hear.

TalknTurkey

I picked up Shane's kit and the ghost cut is the only cut I can get the high front end with, so I believe that indicates I have a center channel of air. His kit doesn't include a batwing cut, so I was wondering if this cut should also work for a center channel of air or should I just stick with ghost cuts?

Terry

I am a center cut guy and batwings are my least favorite cut. Everything I can run to the best of my ability is either a ghost cut or a variation.

Big Jeremy

Some folks with a center channel of air can run a batwing really well. I'm a center flow guy, but I, like Terry, struggle with a batwing. Ghosts are my favorite. Some combo cuts work ok, but nothing as well as a ghost for me.

GunRunner

It took me a while using standard sized diaphragm's to realize that they did not fit my mouth because I have a smaller upper pallet. An older, wiser, and very experienced turkey hunter advised me to try a youth sized diaphragm with smaller frames and like magic I started making decent calls.  I used youth calls for a couple of years and killed birds with them. Then I discovered Hook's diaphragms and found that their standard frame is smaller than most regular calls and they worked for me. Their quality calls with the smaller frame are perfect for me. I have been a religious Hooks fan now for about 12 years and do not head in the turkey woods without them.
Understanding your air flow so you can use the best cuts for you is crucial, as mentioned by others here, but I believe this mouth sizing and fit issue is also a major problem for many that can not seem to produce good calls with diaphragms. Unfortunately some folks never figure it out and give up on mouth calls.

GunRunner
:turkey: