News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Diaphragm Calls

Started by TyFlyer, March 06, 2023, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyFlyer

Hello,
Thanks in advance for reading this post.

I'm new to diaphragm calls and am looking for recommendations on calls that have worked well for you. I know this will vary wildly as diaphragm calls are very personal and your God given abilities affect will help or hinder how well you run the call.

Looking for a consensus to pick up a few calls to try for myself. Sadler is one that caught my eye in some posts here.

Thanks again

Big Jeremy

Lots of people make good ones. Regardless of who you get them from (Sadler McGraw and Gooserbat (Sam) are both on here and make good diaphragms), get several different cuts (right cuts, left cuts, center cuts, no cuts) and see what you like. Then run them like crazy. See what you can make the most consistent sounds with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Star Eastern

I learned on a Woodhaven Ghost. Not sure if that's the best for beginners necessarily, but it worked for me.

HS 2.5 cut was something I bought as a backup from Academy one day, and I could not make it sound good. I added a diagonal cut to the uncut side, and it now sounds much better.  May be my flow of air does cross the factory cut side, but I'm no expert.

If you have any sort of commute, the truck is a good place to practice with Primos How To pulled up on YouTube.

Good luck!

Sir-diealot

You can buy some very fairly priced calls from several of the makers here and they will all be willing to help you out. Buy some cheaper ones of each cut first and find out what ones work best for you, not every cut is for everyone and there is no sense buying some high end call that is not going to work for you. Once you figure it out then get the higher end stuff from these guys on the forum.

I can only use the Ghost Cut, Batwing Cut or standard double cut but all the others are useless to me because of how I blow air out The Mouth Call Mechanics Kit it has helped me a lot. It seems "The Mouth Call Mechanics Kit" is no longer being made (Not on the site anyway) or I would suggest that to figure out what works best for you first.

Small explanation of cuts here. Ignore the name brands in the article , these guys here on this forum make them just as good if not better. https://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting/articles/do-you-know-your-turkey-hunting-mouth-calls
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sasquatch1

That's something you'll have to fight through a ton of.

Ideally once you find the right cut for you and the way air moves across your pallet most any brand will do.

For this I'd find who's cheapest and get different  cuts. I personally think 3 reeds are the easiest and usually best sounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

runngun

I have been using Sadler McGraw mouth calls, ghost cut, batwing, reverse combo cut.  All very good.  I will suggest that you get you some ghost cut first.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TyFlyer

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. I appreciate the time spent. I'll reach out to the members mentioned in the posts.

What is the best way to find them?

Tomtom97

Sadler McGraw is all I have to say!

Notsoyoungturk

I struggled at first until I realized I had a narrow palate.  Went to the small frame calls and never looked back.  Every time I go to the NWTF convention.  I will buy a couple of calls from different vendors, including some on the forum.  Very few are completely wasted, but over time, I have found my favorites.  I have some that are higher pitched and some that are raspier.  Never know what Ol' Tom will want that day.  Getting calls from reputable makers helps but you have to experiment to find what maker, size and cut works for you. 
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

bwhana

If you need a smaller size, I would recommend sticking with standard frame calls and cutting the tape instead of going to the smaller frame.  You should have more range with the standard frame and end up with a call that fits too.

huntineveryday

There are some good callmakers on here and some good custom call makers around. My first choice would be to contact one of them directly and just ask them for thier easiest blowing call for a beginner, then go from there. Heck, some of them might just build you a simple call. A simple double Reed or ghost cut that's easy to get some basic sounds out of would be where id start. When you feel comfortable with some basic sounds and a diaphragm in your mouth, then try out some other cuts and brands to see the differences and find some that match your style/ability.

An example of a simple, easy to get sound out of commercial call would be a Primos Limb Hanger. Cheap, simple, easy to use. I'd never use one now, but I learned how to use a diaphragm and called my first tom in with one.

Terry

I'd watch "mouth call mechanics" with Shane Simpson and go from there. Maybe even start with his kit to figure out what cut you like before buying anything else. It will decrease your learning curve greatly. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/gFs--tKA46I

idratherb

Tons of guys out there but I have a hard time going with anybody but Denny Gulvas(2.5 reed)and Sadler Mcgraw(judge and jury). IMHO

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

EZ

Quote from: Terry on March 08, 2023, 08:38:43 AM
I'd watch "mouth call mechanics" with Shane Simpson and go from there. Maybe even start with his kit to figure out what cut you like before buying anything else. It will decrease your learning curve greatly. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/gFs--tKA46I

X2

I would start with a plain double reed call (sinse you are new) and learn the basic mechanics. THEN advance to different cuts. Remember, these calls were developed by folks with years of experience (and many trophies) under their belts.

There are steps to become good on any type call. Don't skip any of them.