turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sound File Shannon push pin

Started by Greg Massey, March 05, 2023, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

You can go to Youtube search for oldgobbler2 and you can see Shannon playing the new ironwood and others .... Sound Files ... Him playing them will amaze you...

brennan

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedge7767

Jim

GuideGun

They sound great. I look forward to getting mine soon and start learning on it. They sound so killer in the videos.
Matt

Greg Massey

Everyone is welcome, this is what the forum is all about sharing ...

roosterstraw

I can do it all but cut. Still haven't mastered that one yet with his call. Well, I haven't mastered any of them but I can make turkey noises.

DFelico

Appreciate the heads up. They sound killer

Old Gobbler

I'll have to take some of my wife's recording equipment and do a proper recording in the woods

Now ...calls , any call will sound completely different inside a room ,car cab etc... You have to step back 20 foot and be away from walls or close to cars ..they will pick up sound and bounce it back to you ... Sometimes I'll play them under a table when I run it over the phone to demo for someone on the other line

Play outside ...with that said , get yourself some recordings of turkeys like treetop turkeys or real turkeys by Lovett Williams play it all the time

Plain old cluck ...let me tell you the biggest myth with turkey hunting  is that guys only cluck , soft  cluck and purr when the bird is close...I do it close , far in-between..all the time

I do it all the time ..I'm under the opinion that's 99% of a hens vocabulary is that ..clucks ..you can't hear it cause you don't have super duper hearing like a gobbler .

The soft cluck is the "psst" of turkey language..louder is "hey" cutting is "get you a-- over here" 

Sometimes I just soft cluck ..if I "hook " a hen with that ..I'll keep at it until she comes in let her pas ...sometimes she's towing a gobbler ..I'll call up the same hen 4 times a day ..sonner or later a gobbler will get dragged into that trick

I avoid yelping most of the time. , I'll do it once or twice in the morning..just like the hens in my area ..if I get pulled into a "yelp off" with a hen ..I'll do a lot of yelping ..for educated gobblers I avoid yelping all together... I think it makes ultra pressured gobblers suspicious ..cause that's all the hunters do is , yelp , yelp , yelp .. try cutting back on the yelping and pick up on clucking ..when your having a difficult time ..it might work for you

Fast cutting is extremely effective down here in Florida..the push pins I make do it really well ..if you can learn to run two push pins and cut ..that's like gold

Fighting rattle ...I've killed at least..with a minimum sometimes more 1 gobbler a year that nothing else would work on ..with a fighting rattle ..and I've kept that streak for 30 years and most of it on HARD HUNTED FLORIDA PUBLIC ...I lay it on super thick ..and will keep at it for 5-10 minutes ...then wait ...sometimes I use a cutter diaphragm and cutt while doing the rattle .if your going to commit to a fighting rattle ..go all the way   if you've ever seen turkeys fight it can last a good spell..  after waiting a spell after pulling a fighting rattle , I'll pack it on up and move ..I did this last year and right when I stood up there was this monster Osceola standing in shotgun range looking back at me  , I shot him dead in the sand ..it works when nothing else will

Knight and Hale were the men who popularized the use of pushpins with the fighting rattle ..that was 30 years ago ..and it still works ...nothing works all the time , but take it from me when it works it works when nothing else will and typically the birds that fall for it are very old ..I've killed a few with 1 5/8 spurs with it ...it works

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Tyoung

Thanks for sharing. Always looking to steal an idea or suggestion or two.

Old Gobbler

I'm making calls all week long ...I should have a good size batch of calls available by this weekend

I'll be making some videos in a few weeks
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Zobo

Absolutely agree about clucks. I tell my sons, yelp less, cluck more.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 05, 2023, 08:48:48 PM
I'll have to take some of my wife's recording equipment and do a proper recording in the woods

Now ...calls , any call will sound completely different inside a room ,car cab etc... You have to step back 20 foot and be away from walls or close to cars ..they will pick up sound and bounce it back to you ... Sometimes I'll play them under a table when I run it over the phone to demo for someone on the other line

Play outside ...with that said , get yourself some recordings of turkeys like treetop turkeys or real turkeys by Lovett Williams play it all the time

Plain old cluck ...let me tell you the biggest myth with turkey hunting  is that guys only cluck , soft  cluck and purr when the bird is close...I do it close , far in-between..all the time

I do it all the time ..I'm under the opinion that's 99% of a hens vocabulary is that ..clucks ..you can't hear it cause you don't have super duper hearing like a gobbler .

The soft cluck is the "psst" of turkey language..louder is "hey" cutting is "get you a-- over here" 

Sometimes I just soft cluck ..if I "hook " a hen with that ..I'll keep at it until she comes in let her pas ...sometimes she's towing a gobbler ..I'll call up the same hen 4 times a day ..sonner or later a gobbler will get dragged into that trick

I avoid yelping most of the time. , I'll do it once or twice in the morning..just like the hens in my area ..if I get pulled into a "yelp off" with a hen ..I'll do a lot of yelping ..for educated gobblers I avoid yelping all together... I think it makes ultra pressured gobblers suspicious ..cause that's all the hunters do is , yelp , yelp , yelp .. try cutting back on the yelping and pick up on clucking ..when your having a difficult time ..it might work for you

Fast cutting is extremely effective down here in Florida..the push pins I make do it really well ..if you can learn to run two push pins and cut ..that's like gold

Fighting rattle ...I've killed at least..with a minimum sometimes more 1 gobbler a year that nothing else would work on ..with a fighting rattle ..and I've kept that streak for 30 years and most of it on HARD HUNTED FLORIDA PUBLIC ...I lay it on super thick ..and will keep at it for 5-10 minutes ...then wait ...sometimes I use a cutter diaphragm and cutt while doing the rattle .if your going to commit to a fighting rattle ..go all the way   if you've ever seen turkeys fight it can last a good spell..  after waiting a spell after pulling a fighting rattle , I'll pack it on up and move ..I did this last year and right when I stood up there was this monster Osceola standing in shotgun range looking back at me  , I shot him dead in the sand ..it works when nothing else will

Knight and Hale were the men who popularized the use of pushpins with the fighting rattle ..that was 30 years ago ..and it still works ...nothing works all the time , but take it from me when it works it works when nothing else will and typically the birds that fall for it are very old ..I've killed a few with 1 5/8 spurs with it ...it works

Thanks Shannon. Great tips!!
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

x3, lot of good info for sure, thanks for passing it on. Will have to get some time to watch
the youtube video.

DFelico

Thank you for passing the info Shannon

Riley1