turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Side by Sides

Started by savduck, June 23, 2011, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

I have an old Fox  that i inherited from my grandfather. I bought a case of #5 bismuth back about 7 or 8 years ago for it. It is got a full and modified barrell. Thinking about killing gobbler with it next year. Any other fellas on here killing birds with Side by sides.
Georgia Boy

DocHolliday

'bout all I use. (20's and a 28ga) Just summpin' right 'bout layin that ol'girl atop a knee waitin on a bird!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: savduck on June 23, 2011, 08:00:40 PM
I have an old Fox  that i inherited from my grandfather. I bought a case of #5 bismuth back about 7 or 8 years ago for it. It is got a full and modified barrell. Thinking about killing gobbler with it next year. Any other fellas on here killing birds with Side by sides.

I think you'd enjoy that. I have one that I use from time to time and it's a very handy turkey gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gobblergls

You didn't say how old  the Fox was.  Fox didn't start listing in catalogs that the guns were chambered for 2.75" until 1938.  Even if chambered 2.5" to 2 9/16", there are some that say it won't hurt the gun to shoot a 2.75" shell in it, but it ain't gonna happen in my old doubles.  I have a  short chambered 16 gauge 1923 Fox Sterlingworth and I wouldn't dream of shooting a modern shell in it.  I am forever cured of shooting a sxs at turkeys having made some spectacular misses with an Ithaca NID 10 Gauge magnum.  I prefer a single barrel sight plane on turkeys which have also had spectacular misses.  ;)  The one that hurts the most was probably 10 miles or less from where you live--a hunting club on Clyo-Stillwell Rd. over 25 years ago. When I shot, I let fly 2.5 oz. of St. Louie Threes from my right barrel.  He was standing flatfooted on a logging road 25 steps away and I am convinced I witnessed the miracle of a dead running bird after shooting.  Not a single feather left behind, just a rapid exit, stage right.

savduck

Its and old Savage fox. it takes the 2.75s just fine. killed enough quail with it to fill the back of a pick up.

There is still a pile of gobblers running around Effingham. Cut my teeth on them over on a club in Egypt. We had a place behind the old big horn hunting club and down at the 101 ranch.
Georgia Boy

Waddle Whacker

Do any of you guys hunt with modern SxS's? I've been toying with the idea of a new project gun in SxS, after creating a fine looking, bottomland dipped, great shooter out of an O/U, but am a bit concerned with having possible POI issues. Fortunately with the O/U I didn't encounter that problem. So I guess what I'm asking is, what's a good SxS that will be reliable and probably shoot straight (I know there are no guarantees), but not so pretty I'd feel bad about dipping it. I'm not looking to spend $2,000 on a SxS turkey project. Is it possible for under $1,000, not including the dip? I might could talk myself into $1500, but I bet she'd be too pretty.

HogBiologist

My next project (when I get the money) will be a Stoger Uplander 3" SxS.  Gonna set it up for turkey, but keep it for deer too.  I just love a SxS.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Reloader

I have two old 111 SxSs that were handed down to me from my Great Grandpa. I developed some good loads for one, but my only problem has been varying POIs for each bbl.  One bbl hits true and the other shoots low and right.  I carried it a couple times last year, but never took a bird with it.  I intend to take it again for the sentimental value.  I've taken deer, ducks, dove, rabbit, and squirrel with them, so it's time to whack a turkey with them as well.  Thought about making a gun rack out of the feet to give it a nice resting place in the gun room.

DocHolliday

WW:
Yes, it can be done. Here's the 28.

She's a CZ Bobwhite.  The 12 and 20 can be had for $700 +/-.  Trulock makes tubes.  POI is an issue w/ tight choke @ 40+ yds BUT rifle sights solves it well.  I set all mine up for the left bbl to be "on" @ 40 and use an open choke like imp cyl or cyl in the right tube and all is good.  The Stoeger I use as my "travel" gun cause I dont really mind it taking a beating.  It can be had for $500 (completely tricked out). The problem w/ the Stoeger is that it is heavy.  Make no mistake neither of these are FINE guns and I would not represent them as such. but they are turkey killers.
Doc

Reloader

Waddle Whacker

Doc- Beautiful! Nuff said. I love it, I'm doing it. It looks great in Obsession, that would be my choice as well. Thanks for posting, you told me what I wanted to hear. I knew guns were available in my $ range, but I just didn't care to be stuck with a $700 piece of junk. You ever thought about the Stoeger coach gun with the short barrel? Is it 18" or 20"? That would be a pleasure to tote around. Just don't know if it could be a shooter. Those Ruger's are pretty as well, way to pretty for me to dip. I agree, they were made to kill quail.

gobblergls

One alternative to dipping is what we did before dipping was around.  Bow tape.  It protected the barrels and was easily removed at season's end.  I never had a problem with rusting underneath.