turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#10 shot ballistic penetration at 40 yards

Started by JohnSouth22, March 01, 2023, 08:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Essentially I got this Program to run all the calculations for ballistics on a #10 shot traveling at 1120FPS(how fast my handloads are going). Even got it to calculate depth penetration into 10% ballistic gel at 40 yards. General rule of thumb is that it takes anywhere from 1.25" to 1.75" of penetration in 10% ballistic gel to kill a turkey and a #10 pellet has 2.6" penetration at 40 yards. Pretty wild stuff. Of course this isn't perfect math as things such as air pressure, temperature, and elevation. All of those factors were set to standard.  I attracted the script below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Gel is fine for testing and comparison to other loads, but does it reliably penetrate at turkey neck bone and skull at 40 yards?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

I'm loading some 19 g/cc #10 TSS for a very special.project.  I'm also hoping for 1050-1150 fps @ the muzzle.  But I'll be limiting shots to 50-60 feet,AX, so........

Fingers crossed.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 01, 2023, 10:09:33 PM
Gel is fine for testing and comparison to other loads, but does it reliably penetrate at turkey neck bone and skull at 40 yards?

40 ??   Don't know.

15-20 ??    Hoping to let you know..
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

JohnSouth22

That is what the 1.25"-1.75" reference is. That is what is generally accepted to be capable of penetrating the bone

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 01, 2023, 10:13:33 PM

40 ??   Don't know.

15-20 ??    Hoping to let you know..
I have little doubt it will be effective at 30.  Seems like some have tried it in the .410 especially.  Sure seems like a read about some positive results.  Good luck, at the ranges you mention I bet it will work fine.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

slave601

I'm interested in seeing the 9x10 mixture apex has come out with
"thinnin the flock"

Dtrkyman

I shot a bird with 9.5s, thought it was 40 in an open field, was closer to 50.  Layed him out! 

ol bob

Don't know about the jel test but before changing from 12, to 20, I set up 2 pieces of roofing tin, taped off 40 yards, shot one with 12Ga long beard 31/2 # 4, the other 20 Ga, #9 TSS. Far more holes with the 20 never carried the 12 again.

JohnSouth22

Quote from: ol bob on March 02, 2023, 10:18:30 AM
Don't know about the jel test but before changing from 12, to 20, I set up 2 pieces of roofing tin, taped off 40 yards, shot one with 12Ga long beard 31/2 # 4, the other 20 Ga, #9 TSS. Far more holes with the 20 never carried the 12 again.

Most likely due to the 20 gauge shell having higher muzzle velocity than the 12 you shot that day. 20's are definitely dominating the field right now

Louisiana Longbeard

I would say longbeard is not comparable to TSS. Ive shot several with Apex TSS and it is a stone cold killer.

slave601

The Chanel on YouTube review this thing if I recall shot Apex 9s tss through 8 layers of cardboard a pretty good ways out past 40 yds and it went right on through
"thinnin the flock"