OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Side by side sling mount location

Started by g8rvet, February 28, 2023, 01:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Took my new CZ Bobwhite 20 gauge to a gunsmith to have a sling mounted.  First time using him, but he came highly recommended.  I told his wife that I could mount it myself if it was just wood, but did not want to try to forward mount (meaning between the barrels).  I DID NOT specify I wanted it to be mounted between the barrels, but I did say drilled and tapped.  He mounted it to the forestock.  It is fairly thick on the CZ and I have no doubt it will hold, but am concerned how close it is together to the other sling swivel at the bottom.  I am worried it will make the gun sit too high when slung.  There is a hole in the forestock now, so without some creativity, I am stuck.  Anyone else have one mounted like this and how do you like it?  I will try a few slings to see how it fits before deciding what to do.  Gonna call him and let him know it is not what I wanted, but I have to take some blame for not being specific. 

Also asked him for a midbead to assist in aiming it.  He did a fine job, nicely centered, but put a full size bead in there instead of a small bead.  Did not think I needed to tell a gunsmith to put a smaller bead as a midbead, but maybe I should have.  Should be an easy fix there.  He is an hour away, so a bit of a pain to go back over there.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

crow

I sometimes use a para cord and leather sling with a loop that slides down the barrel to the forearm. When doing this I carry it barrel down.

the Ward

That had to be disappointing for sure. Maybe he did it that way because he didn't think there
was enough meat between barrels to drill?

Turkeybutt

Sorry you had to experience this. I think you need to get everything clear and in writing when dealing with anybody these days.
I would have questioned his decision as to why he didn't mount it between the barrels as discussed as well as his decision to place a larger bead instead of a smaller bead when I picked up the gun. At this point at least give him a call and see what he says and don't stew over it.

runngun

I am definitely afraid that this gun is going to ride to high. I am dealing with the same issues because of my CZ Sharptail 20 gauge, I really want to sling it. I have a Ithaca model 37 turkey slayer that has a stud welded to the barrel. I am thinking about letting my son TIG weld a stud on my CZ.
I hope that the Gunsmith you used, installed a small thread mid-bead. My heart sank reading your post.  You will get it straight.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

1ST DRAW

I have installed the slings on both of my turkey guns with the padded side of the sling attached to the butt stock and I can carry them barrel down. That way it doesn't catch all those branches.

Teamblue

Wow sorry that happened. I thought that stuff only happens to me.  I have seen where people use a barrel clamp sling mount on an sxs.  They just point it off the side. 

As for the hole in the forearm, perhaps drill it out and inlet a decorative pin of sorts.  Have you seen on marlin lever actions they have a black and white plug inlet into the stock by the sling swivel stud?  That would be a cheap and seamless repair.  Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Why don't you take it back and have another one installed on the barrel , that way it will look nice and give you more than one option in carrying your gun...

g8rvet

My brother picked up the gun for me and did not even really look at it.  I have a call in to the dude.  I was thinking that too Ward, it may have been his opinion that it was better not to do that. 

I am to blame at least a good part because I did not say "I want this mounted between the barrels at exactly this point".  I should have, as I don't know this dude. 

Never even occured to me that he would put a full size midbead. 

My brother and I were talking about just that blue, putting some kind of pin or something if he can put the sling mount where I want it. 

Good thought Greg. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: g8rvet on February 28, 2023, 05:28:24 PM
My brother picked up the gun for me and did not even really look at it.  I have a call in to the dude.  I was thinking that too Ward, it may have been his opinion that it was better not to do that. 

I am to blame at least a good part because I did not say "I want this mounted between the barrels at exactly this point".  I should have, as I don't know this dude. 

Never even occured to me that he would put a full size midbead. 

My brother and I were talking about just that blue, putting some kind of pin or something if he can put the sling mount where I want it. 

Good thought Greg.
Agree, I'd rather leave that one and have one installed on the barrel... that in my opinion would look better than trying to fill in that other mount with some kind of pin or whatever ... IMO

runngun

Anyway you can post a picture of it?

g8rvet

So I got it home and used the Limbsaver sling that was on my grandson's 410.  Fits perfect, I can sling it over my head at an angle like I like to carry it in the woods, but also will go over shoulder. 

I will take a pic tomorrow and post it.

runngun

Good deal!!! Glad it works out for you. That's awesome. Hopefully you can get the bead issue fixed as well.

Tom007

Quote from: g8rvet on February 28, 2023, 01:06:20 PM
Took my new CZ Bobwhite 20 gauge to a gunsmith to have a sling mounted.  First time using him, but he came highly recommended.  I told his wife that I could mount it myself if it was just wood, but did not want to try to forward mount (meaning between the barrels).  I DID NOT specify I wanted it to be mounted between the barrels, but I did say drilled and tapped.  He mounted it to the forestock.  It is fairly thick on the CZ and I have no doubt it will hold, but am concerned how close it is together to the other sling swivel at the bottom.  I am worried it will make the gun sit too high when slung.  There is a hole in the forestock now, so without some creativity, I am stuck.  Anyone else have one mounted like this and how do you like it?  I will try a few slings to see how it fits before deciding what to do.  Gonna call him and let him know it is not what I wanted, but I have to take some blame for not being specific. 

Also asked him for a midbead to assist in aiming it.  He did a fine job, nicely centered, but put a full size bead in there instead of a small bead.  Did not think I needed to tell a gunsmith to put a smaller bead as a midbead, but maybe I should have.  Should be an easy fix there.  He is an hour away, so a bit of a pain to go back over there.

You can pull out the stud, fill it with dyed walnut saw dust, and pretty much make the hole invisible. I have never done this, but saw it in a video somewhere. That's such a nice gun, even if you had a professional fill the hole, it would be with it. I would be Leary on putting that pressure when carrying on the fore-stock. You never know if it could become "unlatched", then the gun could fall to ground. I have used the barrel clamp stud on 2 guns with great success. Just thought I would pitch in here, I wish you luck.....

Here is what I found as a possible answer.....
"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

That is what I wanted, but not what I got.  I think this guy is an AR/Deer rifle guy and has not done much shotgun work.  When I talked to them, he said there was not enough metal to do that mount.  I am pretty sure he is wrong, so if I have problems I can always look to do what I originally intended with someone else. If I had a drill press and vise I could do it myself.   

The mid bead is full size.  What a dummy.  Not looking to see if I can find a midbead with same threads.  Most of them are smaller.  Guess I gotta call again to see exactly what he used.