turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobble call?

Started by Leadchunker, February 27, 2023, 05:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadchunker

Does anyone use a gobble call? If so, which do you recommend? Thanks.

g8rvet

I use a Primos.  Nothing fancy.  Sounds like doo doo to me.  I do not shake it.  I hold the end and work the bellows to get the right cadence.  It has called in a pair of 2 year olds, one of which my nephew killed.  Mostly just use it as a last ditch to get a gobble.  I carry it and maybe use it a couple times a year.  Hunted private last year and called a poacher in off the river (was fixin to leave and did it once to be sure I did not get an answer - I did, but it was him on a box call).  Met him at the boat landing with the GW and he denied it.  Then LEO showed him the pictures on my phone!  Oops. 

I tried the Haint.  I can blow a goose call, duck call-high ball, feed call etc, but never liked the Haint and gave it away to someone on here. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tom007

Marlin Watkins box calls make an awesome gobble. For some reason, his are just easy to gobble with....
"Solo hunter"

callmakerman

Primo's gobble tube or my favorite a Turpin style box call.

EZ

Most any good tube call.
I gobble much more in the fall than in the spring.

ChesterCopperpot

I use a short box, and the one that gobbles best of the ones I own is a David Halloran ebony/walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

I use my box calls to gobble.  If you want a call that will make gobbler yelps, Roger Parks makes a slate turkey pot that sounds really good.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

WildTigerTrout

I carry a Primos Gobble tube.  I use it only as a last resort and for safety reasons NEVER use it on public property.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkeyhunter99x

I use a mouth call to gobble on. In my opinion the most realistic & most versatible when you get the hang of it.

Sir-diealot

Somewhere in this house there is a old Primos one, I was never to impressed with it which is probably why it has been missing since around 91-93 If I happen to find it I will send it to you.

Quote from: Tom007 on February 28, 2023, 06:28:02 AM
Marlin Watkins box calls make an awesome gobble. For some reason, his are just easy to gobble with....
I am trying to learn on his and others, I am clearly doing something wrong.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

I gobble on my mouth call; it works and don't have to carry another call.

MK M GOBL

MossyOak92

I am not good at it with anything. I tried the haint and never could sound good. I do the best on a tube call.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2023, 05:55:14 PM
I gobble on my mouth call; it works and don't have to carry another call.

MK M GOBL
I try this as well, sometimes it sounds like a very sickly turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

silvestris

I rarely gobble anymore (too many parcipipants these days), but when I do, I use one of my "Morgan Callers".  Search YouTube for a video of the master, Ken Morgan demonstrating his callers.  It is worth the watch.  R.I.P., my old friend.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Leadchunker

I ended up getting a Primos tube within five minutes doing a decent sounding gobble