turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico?

Started by slave601, February 26, 2023, 09:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

I've traveled a good bit of states hunting birds and have helped point some people in a direction on where to go here in Mississippi but New Mexico has been on my mind for quite some time now. I'm not asking for any personal spot by any means but I have no idea where to start in New Mexico. Is there certain parts of the state that is a gar hole or don't get above certain elevations? Any help in a general direction would be appreciated. Thanks
"thinnin the flock"

Gooserbat

I've personally hunted three different area's in NM and found birds each time. Look for mountains and forest and in my experience you find turkeys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

slave601

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 26, 2023, 10:52:54 PM
I've personally hunted three different area's in NM and found birds each time. Look for mountains and forest and in my experience you find turkeys.
Thank you! That's a starting point! I'll get to digging on the maps
"thinnin the flock"

Dtrkyman

You will have to cover some serious ground, pockets of birds mixed in with the same habitat completely void of birds!

Locals know the traditional places birds will be and they can get some pressure.

Hunting can be good just don't expect to hear birds in all the likely places you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Depending on where you end up hunting, it is likely to be over 7,000 ft in elevation and in fairly rugged, mountainous terrain.  Prepare yourself accordingly. 
Other facts:
Turkey population is down on public land (like many other places) mainly due to steadily increasing hunter numbers (about 50% increase in the last several years) and corresponding increase in harvest (also up about 50%).  Available gobbler numbers have definitely decreased and, conversely, pressure on the remaining birds has increased. 

Summary: It ain't the walk in the park it used to be here...   :o

slave601

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 27, 2023, 09:10:10 AM
Depending on where you end up hunting, it is likely to be over 7,000 ft in elevation and in fairly rugged, mountainous terrain.  Prepare yourself accordingly. 
Other facts:
Turkey population is down on public land (like many other places) mainly due to steadily increasing hunter numbers (about 50% increase in the last several years) and corresponding increase in harvest (also up about 50%).  Available gobbler numbers have definitely decreased and, conversely, pressure on the remaining birds has increased. 

Summary: It ain't the walk in the park it used to be here...   :o
I just sent you a pm earlier before you replied to the post. Thank you
"thinnin the flock"