Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red, Green, or Purple Slate recommendations?

Started by InmemoryofLMC, February 21, 2023, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InmemoryofLMC

Going to pick up a slate from Lon Trice. He has one of each red, purple, green slate. What would y'all recommend?
2 SAMUEL 22:3-4 The God of my rock; in him will I trust

Greg Massey

You can't go wrong with any of them from him... I like all 3 , what i would do is get him to send you a small sound file of each one and you decided ... I have a 2 -sider purple slate pot call that's pretty nice ... IMO

letinmfly

I don't think you can find a better slate than Lonzos green slate.  Fantastic call!!!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

REBELYELL

Quote from: letinmfly on February 21, 2023, 02:50:42 PM
I don't think you can find a better slate than Lonzos green slate.  Fantastic call!!!

This!!

Bowguy

mullet dredge

I have both green and red in bullet wood pots from Lon. Have owned the green for a handful of years and just picked up the red at Unicoi. The green is magic!

bowbird87

I'd get a green bulletwood from him. Then get a red persimmon from Buster Halford. You'd be ready for anything!

InmemoryofLMC

Lon sent me sound files on all 3 and ended up going with bulletwood purple.

Greg Massey

Quote from: InmemoryofLMC on February 22, 2023, 11:17:38 AM
Good choice ... You did what i would have done choosing from the sound files of what you liked best ... congrats ...

InmemoryofLMC

Almost went with the Chechen red slate but the yelps in the purple sounded just a lil better to me. All 3 were awesome sounding calls

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 22, 2023, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: InmemoryofLMC on February 22, 2023, 11:17:38 AM
Good choice ... You did what i would have done choosing from the sound files of what you liked best ... congrats ...

I agree, when I bought a Fiddle Box I thought I wanted one combination until Mr. Watkins sent me some soundfiles and it turned out I liked something else quite a bit more.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

3bailey3

I ordered a green slate from Clay Townsend, he called me and said it was ready but wanted me to hear a purple one that he thought sounded better, I got the purple one.

Boykin Hollow

Purchase all three of them, you can't go wrong.

HookedonHooks

What would I recommend?
One of each.

If you can only buy one?
I lean more towards green slate on average, but that being said I've played and own some red and purples that are as good as they get too. Green seems to run just a touch higher pitch with a nasal rather than the rasp I hear off red and purple. Truth be told though there isn't much difference in any of the three other than the color, there's just a preconceived notion of what the different colors sound like in scale so when a call maker is building his pot the turkey in his head he's tuning to may have a bias simply because of the combination he's glueing together, that's not a universal truth.