North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

True Or False?

Started by guesswho, June 21, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey hunting video's and tv shows have had a negative impact on turkey hunting

True
False

guesswho

Do you think turkey hunting videos and tv shows have had a negative effect on the sport?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BOFF

Quote from: guesswho on June 21, 2011, 09:08:10 PM
Do you think turkey hunting videos and tv shows have had a negative effect on the sport?

Well, I guess it depends some. Do you mean currently, in the past, or both?

In my opinion, shows in the past were less focused on promotion of products, more ethical, and all around, just better in promoting hunting. Most of the people who made the earlier shows seemed to be in love with the outdoors, and the animals they hunted.  Although, some of the same people who are still around, have changed, along with the reasons they tend to hunt. Maybe I've changed, and I'm just more aware of certain things, but I like the earlier years. Not too impressed with today's shows, other than the quality of video produced in HD is quite awesome.

God Bless,
David B.

bird

It seems that everybody and their brother has to have a hunting or fishing show now days.  I don't bother with any of them any more and haven't for quite some time now.

TRKYHTR

I don't think it has a negative impact on those who know how to turkey hunt. But if you are a new turkey hunter and all you had is the new videos and TV of today I think you are going to have a hard time killing turkeys. They would also think the only way to turkey hunt would be to use a blind with decoys and a Primos call. You can kill turkeys like that but there is so much more to turkey hunting than what the TV and videos show. JMO

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

I certainly think many shows give the wrong impression. However, turkey hunting is more popular than it's ever been and preservation funds have more support than ever and this is due in some part to these shows.

WiLL B

The tv shows and videos now are all about selling blinds, decoys and calls. I think they go overboard with it too. The old Truth videos were not this way!

pappy

I have to say that if the videos of today are all I had to go by to learn about hunting, I would just as soon stay in the house. I agree with Bird on this issue, shows are all about promoting their stuff and not the ethics of the hunt and I just don't bother with watching them. BUT...like Guesswho, I too think the old shows had character and they did care about the hunter's education concerning safety and the final outcome was a great hunt and harvest. So, it depends on the age of the videos and who is making the video.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Shotgun

I voted true...I would say the majority of the TV shows over the last 10 years have done nothing, but give a false representation of what I believe turkey hunting is all about.

Muskie03

They aren't so much hunting videos anymore as they are infomercials. There all about products and outfitters with some dead turkeys mixed in.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

guesswho

Quote from: BOFF on June 21, 2011, 09:27:06 PM
In my opinion, shows in the past were less focused on promotion of products, more ethical, and all around, just better in promoting hunting. Most of the people who made the earlier shows seemed to be in love with the outdoors, and the animals they hunted.

Quote from: TRKYHTR on June 21, 2011, 09:32:23 PM
I don't think it has a negative impact on those who know how to turkey hunt. But if you are a new turkey hunter and all you had is the new videos and TV of today I think you are going to have a hard time killing turkeys. They would also think the only way to turkey hunt would be to use a blind with decoys and a Primos call. You can kill turkeys like that but there is so much more to turkey hunting than what the TV and videos show. JMO

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Shotgun on June 21, 2011, 09:44:31 PM
I would say the majority of the TV shows over the last 10 years have done nothing, but give a false representation of what I believe turkey hunting is all about.

Dang, ya'll pretty much summed up my view on the subject. :you_rock:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jay

I don't watch TV hunting shows anymore after the last one really ticked me off watching a couple of idiots who didn't have a clue on how to Turkey hunt. I enjoy the hunting videos by Shane, and this year really got a kick out of the Hardcore/Flydown video hunts.

BoWhoop

Quote from: guesswho on June 21, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

No idea, don't watch them.  Need one more option in your poll.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: bird on June 21, 2011, 09:30:39 PM
It seems that everybody and their brother has to have a hunting or fishing show now days.  I don't bother with any of them any more and haven't for quite some time now.

Same here

bird

Quote from: Jay on June 22, 2011, 01:07:32 AM
I don't watch TV hunting shows anymore after the last one really ticked me off watching a couple of idiots who didn't have a clue on how to Turkey hunt. I enjoy the hunting videos by Shane, and this year really got a kick out of the Hardcore/Flydown video hunts.

I will have to agree with Jay on this too.  I would much rather watch Shane, Ronnie and Chris's videos as they are much more enjoyable and "real" than any of the shows you see on TV.

Al

Tail Feathers

Negative impact?  No.

Sometimes they don't realisticly show what turkey hunting is about but I don't think they hurt.  If it wasn't for some turkey hunting I saw on TV I may have never tried it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!