turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you carry your Mossberg 940 loaded?

Started by fleasmokey, February 13, 2023, 02:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleasmokey

So I was looking into getting the Mossberg 940 pro turkey and stumbled across some posts on here about some loading issues people were having, mainly that you have to put a round in the chamber, release the bolt and then load the magazine. I wanted to double check with Mossberg so I called, and the customer service rep confirmed to me that this is the case. I asked if you can have rounds in the magazine and manually load one into the chamber using the bolt, and he basically said yes, but it wasn't designed to be loaded that way & it's not entirely reliable. I asked him how he would recommend carrying the gun in the field, and he said loaded.

So I use a Mossberg 500, and I hike with it in a scabbard on my pack, with an empty chamber and the magazine loaded. When I get to where I'm going I quietly rack one in the chamber, and top off the mag.

So it got me thinking how other turkey hunters carry their guns, really any gun, but specifically semis. Do you carry your gun loaded? Does anyone have any experience with the 940 in the field that can offer any thoughts on the matter regarding their loading procedure?

Thanks.

Tail Feathers

I think that is Winchester recommends loading too.  It's how I load it anyway. Chamber first then magazine.  I carry my guns chamber loaded.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

I always carry loaded while solo, when guiding I like to carry their gun and may un load?

I always liked a gun with a magazine cutoff or a Benelli, you can cycle a round from my sbe2 and it does not load one from the mag.

Greg Massey

Loaded if I'm hunting ... from the time i leave the truck or the cabin... I do like the mag, cutoff .... sometimes i will take one out of the chamber depending on what i'm doing for safety reasons ...

guesswho

Right or wrong the magazines stay loaded.   Once I'm out of the truck one goes in the barrel.  I was raised with the mentality an unloaded long gun is just a metal stick and an unloaded handgun is just a metal rock.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jhoward11

unloaded till I get out of truck, then fully loaded.

fleasmokey

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 13, 2023, 02:36:36 PM
I always carry loaded while solo, when guiding I like to carry their gun and may un load?

I always liked a gun with a magazine cutoff or a Benelli, you can cycle a round from my sbe2 and it does not load one from the mag.

What other turkey shotguns have a magazine cutoff?

roosterstraw

Mag loaded with nothing in the chamber. If hunting with a buddy pay attention to how many times you point your gun at him unintentionally. Accidents do happen and it's not worth the risk. I read a story not too long ago about a father accidentally shooting his son because he thought the chamber was empty. One time I offered to carry a buddy's gun and I didn't check the gun. After a hour or so I happen to look at it and there was a round in the chamber and the safety was off. Just not worth the risk for me.

Tom007

Quote from: fleasmokey on February 13, 2023, 03:33:51 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 13, 2023, 02:36:36 PM

What other turkey shotguns have a magazine cutoff?

The older Browning Gold Shotguns have a mag cut-off switch....
"Solo hunter"

Stick

If I'm out the truck, my gun is loaded.  That pistol I carry is always loaded, too.  I don't point my shotgun at hunting buddies, it's pointed in the air while slung on my shoulder and down at the ground or in a safe direction if in my hands.  I was just raised that way, always mindful of muzzle control. 

Dtrkyman

Browning still has mag cut off on some models, Beretta did but not sure currently.  My old Xtrema had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neill_Prater

Always fully loaded in the field. I do not, nor do most game departments, I am guessing, consider a gun with rounds in the magazine unloaded.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

fleasmokey

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 13, 2023, 07:36:59 PM
Always fully loaded in the field. I do not, nor do most game departments, I am guessing, consider a gun with rounds in the magazine unloaded.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I should clarify that by "loaded", I mean a round in the chamber, and a full magazine.

OJR

I always have one in the chamber when out of the truck.

ShootingABN!

Solo always loaded. Hunting with a buddy loaded, unless rugged terrain. Like straight up or down mountain, creek or water hazard crossing. 22 years in the military and always one in the chamber and 100% muzzle awareness. However, I'm not worried about someone else shooting me. I'll be extra safe.