OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just Trumpet Questions

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 13, 2023, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:03:31 PM
...but what I was asking specifically was more or less are all yelpers the same pitch.
No, you worded the question perfectly and the thread built into larger questions about yelpers in general. As I said in my first post, they're most certainly not all the same pitch and a lot goes into determining that. The Jordan I posted, the one on the right is pitched more like a jake or gobbler, and the one on the left is pitched more like a young hen. If you want a deeper tone, I suggest Permar as I said, but not the .45 or classic. The classic is a high pitched call. The .45 is a mature hen (and that may work for you). The deeper pitched calls are calls like his gobbler trumpet or his Roanoke trumpet. He breaks the calls down by pitch on his website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Yes, i think from his original question we are pass the basic fundamentals, talking more about the tones and pitches of different styles and hole dia. of the mouthpieces etc... playability .... etc...

Greg Massey

This is just probably myself but with the smaller higher pitch trumpets i see myself losing control of my lip pressure more than i do with the ones that have a larger dia, and are not as high of a pitch.  IMO

GregGwaltney

There is so much to unpack in this thread....let me just say that everything effects the tone, pitch, draw, etc....Greg mentioned something that I haven't seen before here, and that is bell wall thickness. I can tell quite a bit of difference when a bell end is left with more/less meat on it, as well as the final shape/dimensions. Matter of fact, a trumpet goes through many tonal/playability differences as it is reduced (everywhere) to its final shape. Fascinating really, I play them from blank to final shape and am always intrigued by the different "turkeys" throughout the process. Don't forget the lipstop as it is another variable that is often overlooked.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:03:31 PM
...but what I was asking specifically was more or less are all yelpers the same pitch.
No, you worded the question perfectly and the thread built into larger questions about yelpers in general. As I said in my first post, they're most certainly not all the same pitch and a lot goes into determining that. The Jordan I posted, the one on the right is pitched more like a jake or gobbler, and the one on the left is pitched more like a young hen. If you want a deeper tone, I suggest Permar as I said, but not the .45 or classic. The classic is a high pitched call. The .45 is a mature hen (and that may work for you). The deeper pitched calls are calls like his gobbler trumpet or his Roanoke trumpet. He breaks the calls down by pitch on his website.

I just took a look at the website and I agree, possibly the 45 or the Roanoke is more what I'm after based on his website. I like the more mature coarser tone

ScottTaulbee

I'm an open book for any type of education that you more experienced callers and makers want to give me. I like the trumpet calls more than any pot call or box call I'd ever carry and have actually thinned down to a trumpet, a pack of mouth calls and 1 pot from a vest full. I love the things!.

Greg Massey

Quote from: GregGwaltney on February 13, 2023, 12:32:06 PM
There is so much to unpack in this thread....let me just say that everything effects the tone, pitch, draw, etc....Greg mentioned something that I haven't seen before here, and that is bell wall thickness. I can tell quite a bit of difference when a bell end is left with more/less meat on it, as well as the final shape/dimensions. Matter of fact, a trumpet goes through many tonal/playability differences as it is reduced (everywhere) to its final shape. Fascinating really, I play them from blank to final shape and am always intrigued by the different "turkeys" throughout the process. Don't forget the lipstop as it is another variable that is often overlooked.
Yes, I totally agree ...  as a builder you see and hear things in my opinion that we are trying to achieve in more than one finished trumpet .. thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:36:00 PM
I'm an open book for any type of education that you more experienced callers and makers want to give me. I like the trumpet calls more than any pot call or box call I'd ever carry and have actually thinned down to a trumpet, a pack of mouth calls and 1 pot from a vest full. I love the things!.

Greg Gwaltney who just chimed in on this thread is another callmaker who could definitely tune a yelper toward what you're wanting to get out of it. From the sounds of it, I think a jake type tone is what you seem to be wanting. Ralph's Roanoke trumpet will give you that for sure. His .45 is just a great, all around mature hen. What I'm getting at, though, is that with these really talented makers like Greg you can tell them what sound you're trying to get and they can build a call and tune it for that pitch.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 01:01:40 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:36:00 PM

Greg Gwaltney who just chimed in on this thread is another callmaker who could definitely tune a yelper toward what you're wanting to get out of it. From the sounds of it, I think a jake type tone is what you seem to be wanting. Ralph's Roanoke trumpet will give you that for sure. His .45 is just a great, all around mature hen. What I'm getting at, though, is that with these really talented makers like Greg you can tell them what sound you're trying to get and they can build a call and tune it for that pitch.

I plan to call Ralph after work. I might also get with Greg. I've been eyeballing his calls for some time

Terry

Quote from: paboxcall on February 13, 2023, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 10:29:47 AM
Pick one, and learn how to run that one before worrying about all the others. Get the fundamentals right first.

I agree with this. Eliminate as many variables as possible until you get to where you want to be. If you work hard enough to become proficient, you'll be able to imitate many different hens and even Jakes on one trumpet assuming you choose a good one to begin with.

randywallace

Every change in internal and external dimensions, materials, etc. can change the sound as will how a person plays the caller.  Much like any musical instrument.

Practice first at low volume.  Learn to control airflow and then move up in volume as you learn an acceptable range.

Greg Massey

I agree Randy, but we are looking deeper into these changes with what we are seeing and hearing in these calls... It's all interesting information, and that's why we are disusing this about trumpet, without discussing the different make up of these instrument have do we understand the overall playability of what we are trying to accomplish in sounds and tones ...  But i agree with practice ...

EZ

Quote from: randywallace on February 13, 2023, 02:24:15 PM
Every change in internal and external dimensions, materials, etc. can change the sound as will how a person plays the caller.  Much like any musical instrument.

Practice first at low volume.  Learn to control airflow and then move up in volume as you learn an acceptable range.

Bingo!

Like Greg said, there's so much to unpack here. Some great advise but so much that it can be very confusing.

I won't even try to address everything being asked. I will make a few, what I consider, very important statements about learning on yelpers of any kind.

Stop trying to sound like Zack Farmer and Marl Prudhomme. You need to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run and run before you can run like Michael Johnson (if ever). They even design their call for the way they play. Not that you can't use that technique with other calls, but you MUST master air control (as Randy said) first and foremost.

Learn the air control on ONE call. It generally takes quite a bit of solid practice (years, yes years) of practicing the right way. Once you get pretty good at the control, you will play every call the same way. Your hands may move a little differently and have just about as much to do with your playing as your throat.

When you practice, try not to move your lips at all. That will make sure you are drawing from within your mouth and throat. Draw air as easy as possible. Try to get the high front end note and HOLD it for as long as you can. Do not make any other calls until you can do a nice clean, unbroken note.
That's the "control" everyone is talking about.

Once you get that, come back and ask about step two, lol.

OR, you can be happy where you're at....you're killing turkeys!!!!

outdoors

Practice , practice , practice , practice
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ScottTaulbee

I'm not sure where this got off from the original topic, and I think the question has went off on the wrong direction. I wasn't asking for advice on how to call, or looking for the "magic yelper". I was asking if all the yelpers have the same high pitch because I have 5 or 6 trumpets and all are from different makers except 2 and they all have a high pitch, which I'm not a huge fan of. My question was are all of them like this because the ones I've experienced from different makers are. Not that they're bad, they're just not the hen in my head. I can pick up and play any of them the same way. I've been practicing with trumpets for 4 years now. Anywho, I called Ralph Permar and after he played them for me, I believe the 45 in Delrin is what I'm after. I'm on the list. Thank you for the guys who recommended him