OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just Trumpet Questions

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 13, 2023, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 10:47:26 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2023, 10:35:13 AM
Do you think the different types of material used to make the mouthpiece make that big of a difference? WHY i ask is again I'm learning...
For sure. Especially when you move to something like metal. I've got a micarta, buffalo horn, and a brass in the XT and that brass is just so, so different. I like them all, just different. Those new all aluminum calls Anthony is making are very different beasts. I know Tony Ezolt has lined some calls and worked metal into the internals to accomplish that same sort of thing. Similar to how much different a delrin barrel plays compared to a wood barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me, all the ones I have are high pitched, and also have pretty small bores on the mouth pieces, and they require very little air in my experience with them. I'd like to get one with a lower pitch tone but not exactly a gobbler type tone. I've also not figured out how to place the mouth piece and draw air like the farmer method, but I don't think I'm smacking my lips like you would a wing bone either. These trumpets are a different animal but tons of fun!. I play each one of them at least once a day or every other day for a few minutes since I've gotten them.

ChesterCopperpot

This Jordan set is a really great example of everything we're talking about. Both are a combination of titanium and copper. The mouthpieces on both are titanium and they play very, very differently than a bone mouthpiece on an Ezolt Jordan or a delrin mouthpiece on a Permar Jordan. Likewise, the metal internals play very, very differently than the cane of an Ezolt or the wood or phenolic resin of a Permar. Then look at the internal diameters of the barrels on this set. All the internals on these two calls are drastically different and they play drastically different. All of it matters. All of it affects playability and sound. Now we just need to get these calls of mine in the hands of someone like [mention]Terry [/mention] so we can actually hear how incredible their potential really is

25_06

Wow, what great looking calls.
Are those marks on the barrel or are the holes?

thanks,

Greg Massey

I've also noticed a difference in the overall thickness of the bell of some calls and how some run a thinner bell.... I would assume this makes a difference in tones. Just like the two you just posted have a different thickness ...  interesting for sure ...  Again for myself i like the bell shaped trumpets. I'm not a fan of the straight type bells or some builders, i see people buying these and i see these sold on a regular basis.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: 25_06 on February 13, 2023, 11:08:41 AM

thanks,
Holes. They wormy copper

25_06

Thanks,

I never seen that before.

25_06

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 11:23:05 AM
Quote from: 25_06 on February 13, 2023, 11:08:41 AM

thanks,
Holes. They wormy copper

Man, you have some bad boy worms in your neck of the woods.

Greg Massey

What's everyone's opinion on bell thinner and what you think it takes as far as back pressure? Do you see the thicker bells taking less back pressure in achieving the sounds and tones?  Do you feel it takes less finger covering the bell, in doing so are these easier to play?  Say one handed ...

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2023, 11:38:07 AM
What's everyone's opinion on bell thinner and what you think it takes as far as back pressure? Do you see the thicker bells taking less back pressure in achieving the sounds and tones?  Do you feel it takes less finger covering the bell, in doing so are these easier to play?  Say one handed ...
Are you meaning wall diameter or exit diameter or both? I think larger diameter internals are going to tend to require more air. More open bell designs are going to tend to require more coverage to achieve back pressure, assuming the call isn't baffled. In my opinion the yelpers that are easiest to run one handed are the Jordan and the chibouk.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 11:48:36 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2023, 11:38:07 AM
Are you meaning wall diameter or exit diameter or both? I think larger diameter internals are going to tend to require more air. More open bell designs are going to tend to require more coverage to achieve back pressure, assuming the call isn't baffled. In my opinion the yelpers that are easiest to run one handed are the Jordan and the chibouk.

Both ...

paboxcall

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 10:29:47 AM
The thing I've noticed that's really come to define which calls I prefer boils down to how much air is required to run the call. I personally think that the best calls require very little air to run.

Scott - just my :z-twocents:....

As suggested find the one yelper of those you already have that sounds good to your ear.

Once you do that, put the others away. Stick to that one call until you master controlling the air flow on that one call. That will shorten your learning curve significantly.

Jumping back and forth while learning how to run a yelper forces you to accommodate and change how you fit it, draw on it, create correct back pressure. Switching to a different yelper restarts the learning clock all over again.

Pick one, and learn how to run that one before worrying about all the others. Get the fundamentals right first.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Quote from: paboxcall on February 13, 2023, 11:54:08 AM
The thing I've noticed that's really come to define which calls I prefer boils down to how much air is required to run the call. I personally think that the best calls require very little air to run.

As suggested find the one yelper of those you already have that sounds good to your ear.

Once you do that, put the others away. Stick to that one call until you master controlling the air flow on that one call. That will shorten your learning curve significantly.

Jumping back and forth while learning how to run a yelper forces you to accommodate and change how you fit it, draw on it, create correct back pressure. Switching to a different yelper restarts the learning clock all over again.

Pick one, and learn how to run that one before worrying about all the others. Get the fundamentals right first.
I agree with using one to learn with, but i don't think you can achieve everything you want with just that one trumpet .. IMO

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: paboxcall on February 13, 2023, 11:54:08 AM

I appreciate the advice. I've owned them all for over a year now and don't really have a problem making a cluck, or yelp on any of them. I just can't seem to figure out the farmer method of making the sounds with my throat. I'd consider myself capable of killing a bird with any of them, maybe I worded my question incorrectly but what I was asking specifically was more or less are all yelpers the same pitch. The ones I have are all more of a higher pitch than I like personally to fit my hen in my head but I didn't want to keep spending money to try to find that hen if they're all the high, clear pitch. I understand that the user adds the rasp themselves, but wasn't sure if the high pitch is me or the calls.

paboxcall

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:03:31 PM
...I didn't want to keep spending money to try to find that hen if they're all the high, clear pitch. I understand that the user adds the rasp themselves, but wasn't sure if the high pitch is me or the calls.

If you have a good grasp of the fundamentals, recommend getting your name on the list for a Permar .45 or classic. Either will produce the hen tone you looking for.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: paboxcall on February 13, 2023, 12:08:39 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 12:03:31 PM
...I didn't want to keep spending money to try to find that hen if they're all the high, clear pitch. I understand that the user adds the rasp themselves, but wasn't sure if the high pitch is me or the calls.

If you have a good grasp of the fundamentals, recommend getting your name on the list for a Permar .45 or classic. Either will produce the hen tone you looking for.
I appreciate it greatly. I'll get ahold of him.