turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just Trumpet Questions

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 13, 2023, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I got my first trumpet back in 2019 and since then I have fell in love with them. It's a big learning curve and I'm still not the best at using them but can yelp up a Turkey. I know some of you guys have been using them for quite some time, so my question is, what's the difference?. I have a jordon style yelper made from Kenneth Mullins, I have a Corian Trumpet from Kenneth Mullins, I have one that has a snow goose bone mouth piece from Mike Robare, and I have a ABW from Irving Whitt, and I had one from Daryl Gosey. To my ear, they all sound the same except for the Mike Robare. I know the internals are different and they're all different woods etc, but is it the way I play them?. Or all trumpets/yelpers fairly similar?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Playability is the biggest difference, sound run easier than others but that is personal like a mouth call. Tighter internals can make it higher pitched.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

I hate M. .......................
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

25_06

I personally think all my trumpets sound a little different, even the ones made from the same call maker.
Each one has a unique tone and sound, different lengths, wood and mouthpiece material.

thanks

ChesterCopperpot

There are similarities in common between all yelpers, sure, but to me wingbones sound very different from Jordans and Jordans sound very different than Roanokes and Roanokes sound very different than trumpets. Internal diameter of the mouthpiece, design of the mouthpiece (round, oval, flat, slotted, etc), length of the call, internal diameter of the barrel and the taper of that diameter, bell design, what's going on in the middle section of the call, ALL of that is affecting tuning and sound. Some play quick, some play slower. Some are naturally higher, some carry more gobbler tones. A good example would be to play a Permar wingbone then play his Jordan then play his 1917 then play his 1920 then play his 1930 or delrin classic then play a .45 and then play a gobbler trumpet. If you don't hear major sound differences in roll over, pitch, etc. you might have some hearing loss

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 13, 2023, 09:55:36 AM
There are similarities in common between all yelpers, sure, but to me wingbones sound very different from Jordans and Jordans sound very different than Roanokes and Roanokes sound very different than trumpets. Internal diameter of the mouthpiece, design of the mouthpiece (round, oval, flat, slotted, etc), length of the call, internal diameter of the barrel and the taper of that diameter, bell design, what's going on in the middle section of the call, ALL of that is affecting tuning and sound. Some play quick, some play slower. Some are naturally higher, some carry more gobbler tones. A good example would be to play a Permar wingbone then play his Jordan then play his 1917 then play his 1920 then play his 1930 or delrin classic and end with a .45. If you don't hear major sound differences in roll over, pitch, etc. you might have some hearing loss

According to the hearing screen at work, I do have some hearing loss in my left ear lol. The Irving Whitt does have a quicker rollover than my ones from Kenneth. But all are pretty high pitch. I wasn't sure if it was just the way I play them or if most of them are pretty similar

Greg Massey

There are similarities in common between all yelpers, sure, but to me wingbones sound very different from Jordans and Jordans sound very different than Roanokes and Roanokes sound very different than trumpets. Internal diameter of the mouthpiece, design of the mouthpiece (round, oval, flat, slotted, etc), length of the call, internal diameter of the barrel and the taper of that diameter, bell design, what's going on in the middle section of the call, ALL of that is affecting tuning and sound. Some play quick, some play slower. Some are naturally higher, some carry more gobbler tones. A good example would be to play a Permar wingbone then play his Jordan then play his 1917 then play his 1920 then play his 1930 or delrin classic and end with a .45. If you don't hear major sound differences in roll over, pitch, etc. you might have some hearing loss

X2  ... I agree, they all have a difference in how they want to be played. Each type has a unique sound and tone. Mouthpiece has a lot to do with ease of play and how you control the air flow. Style and build play a part in playability. IMO     tal from the forum and i had a long discussion about this same question last night and he shared some great information and knowledge about these air calls. After you start playing them they are hard to put down. The learning curve of the different styles of these calls is pretty unique.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 13, 2023, 10:03:27 AM

According to the hearing screen at work, I do have some hearing loss in my left ear lol. The Irving Whitt does have a quicker rollover than my ones from Kenneth. But all are pretty high pitch. I wasn't sure if it was just the way I play them or if most of them are pretty similar

I've got hearing loss too, but unfortunately mine is low tones which means I miss gobbles

Seriously, if you've got some small drill bits check and see the internal diameters of the mouthpieces and compare the ones you've got. Smaller internals on mouthpieces play higher. Obviously there's a lot more goes into it than that and I'm no callmaker or expert, but that's absolutely why gobbler bones play deeper than hen bones. Might just think about getting you a call that's made to carry some deeper tones if it's something you want to play around with. Permar makes some great lower toned options including that gobbler yelper I mentioned earlier.

Greg Massey

Agree, we talked about this last night about how the mouthpiece makes a big difference in playing these calls and sounds and tones they create as you play them.  Hole diameter does make a difference.  CesterCopperpot is spot on with his posts and information he's sharing with all of us ... Good Post everyone ...lots of good information. I agree I'm just in the learning stages myself with trying to gain all the information i can in how these different calls work and play.  In my opinion the mouthpiece does make a difference along with internals.

silvestris

Get one from all makers and hunt the one that sounds best to your ears.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Quote from: silvestris on February 13, 2023, 10:21:16 AM
Get one from all makers and hunt the one that sounds best to your ears.
This is a possibility, because as you play and learning these calls, you have either got to find that happy medium in that one style of call for doing it all , or at least have two of these calls to cover a larger range in achieving the pitch / high / low and tones in all that your looking for in these type calls .. I don't see myself just using one of these, i see myself using at least two of these calls.

ChesterCopperpot

The thing I've noticed that's really come to define which calls I prefer boils down to how much air is required to run the call. I personally think that the best calls require very little air to run. Tony Ezolt's wingbones and Jordans compared to those made by other callmakers is a real good example. In my opinion, Anthony Ellis' XT requires the least air of any call I've ever run. They are just finely, finely tuned.

With that said, my wife is in the process of learning to play a yelper. Early on in that learning process the tendency is always to draw WAY too much air. Because of that, beginners have a tendency to blow out those really finely tuned calls that I prefer. I've noticed that sometimes they sound better on calls that require more air. I guess in the end it all just boils down to personal preference and learning what those preferences are then letting the turkeys decide if you were right or wrong

Greg Massey

Do you think the different types of material used to make the mouthpiece make that big of a difference? WHY i ask is again I'm learning...

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2023, 10:35:13 AM
Do you think the different types of material used to make the mouthpiece make that big of a difference? WHY i ask is again I'm learning...
For sure. Especially when you move to something like metal. I've got a micarta, buffalo horn, and a brass in the XT and that brass is just so, so different. I like them all, just different. Those new all aluminum calls Anthony is making are very different beasts. I know Tony Ezolt has lined some calls and worked metal into the internals to accomplish that same sort of thing. Similar to how much different a delrin barrel plays compared to a wood barrel.

davisd9

Just think of sound waves and how they vibrate, do deferent materials and the thickness of said materials have an effect on the sound waves. Most would not be noticeable to humans but who knows about turkeys
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer