OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 super mag barrel

Started by Mo_turkey_hunter, February 10, 2023, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_turkey_hunter

I have a nice 11-87 supermag, patterns great and works but it has a long 28" barrel. I cannot for the life of me find a shorter vent rib barrel to fit it. Was thinking about having it cut down to 24" but don't know if I can still use the choke tube I have now in it. Anyone ever cut down and rethread a Remington 11-87 barrel? Here is a pic from 35 yards with a 3" LBXR #5 and a Turlock .660 choke I'd love to still use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I am by no means a gunsmith, or expert here. What I have read is cutting a barrel down (if not done correctly) can affect your pattern. The forcing cone in the barrel could  be shortened, changing the pattern. You have a tight shooting gun there with your shot and choke combo, you could very well lose that if you change the barrel length. I would pm SumToy and get his opinion on this, he is a renowned gunsmith that would be able to give you solid advice. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

Can It be did yes.  Can it change your pattern yes.   Now one thing is what barrel you have now.  Some can go back Rem choke and some can not they go tru choke. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Cmane08

With a pattern like that, I would leave it as is.  Maybe look for a spare barrel that's used.

Mo_turkey_hunter

Can't find a shorter barrel anywhere. Thanks for the advice tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spursnbeards22!

Have two REM barrels that I had shortened with Hastings CT II chokes thread put in them which is Tru Choke. They become just like and turkey barrel then. Have to find the right choke and shell that will work.