OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey chair

Started by roberthyman14, February 10, 2023, 08:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

So my walmart turkey chair has finally bit the dust. Looking to order a new chair.  Who has a light weight but sturdy chair.  I carry mine all season.  Lot more comfortable to me then the seat on my vest. And having the chair back is important. Run and gun on public land, a chair I can pop up in a bush with the rattle snakes vs having to find a tree to fit me.   Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I have a Lafuma low chair, when I need a chair.  I would say it is not big boy approved, has help up perfectly for my skinny arse!  I'm 160lbs

g8rvet

I got tired of buying a new lounger every year.  Got a Millenium like the one my brother was toting.  It is bulky to be sure, but the weight is not bad.  Easy up and down. Very sturdy.  I sling it off to one side and it is not too bad.  Definitely big boy approved.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

If you do a Search on the forum, you will see a lot of information shared about this subject.. Recently ... Turkey Chair

captpete

BDeal

I have several of the Lafuma chairs and have been using them for years. I'm 6'1 235lbs and they work well for me. I believe they weigh under 2 lbs. I don't understand why it seems every turkey chair out there is at least 6 lbs. That's crazy and there's no way I'm hauling a chair around that weighs that much.

roberthyman14

Quote from: captpete on February 11, 2023, 08:21:48 AM
Here is a recent thread with some good info in it.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,109470.0.html
Thanks.  I used the search 1st but couldn't find anything.   Your link had some good stuff in it. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Glad to hear the Lafuma is holding up to larger folks, it is definitely under 2lbs, I remember the first time I picked up a "turkey" chair, I promptly put it back down!

I sprayed mine with OD green.  I use it sparingly but have had it for four or five seasons. 

Big Jeremy

What specific lafuma model are y'all running? 2 pounds sounds appealing.

I searched a bit, and I *think* I know which one. Beach chair with a solid bar on the bottom, front and back? If so, does that cause problems when setting up in uneven ground? That's one of the things I like about my old cabelas gobbler lounger. It adapts pretty well to uneven terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Lafuma low chair, it does have a solid bar front and back but I usually seem to make it work.

I guess if I'm on a hot bird I don't generally use it, if I am setting up on sign to listen when things are quiet I use it then.

I've wedged pieces of branches and such under it to level it out at times.

I bought the tan one and hit it with some drab paint.

I even use it glassing out west for Elk and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Made my own years ago, bought a Low Boy Lite Turkey Chair from the NWTF, later I bought a H.S. Turkey Seat that I cut the plastic hinged legs off and attached to the low boy as a back rest. I added a foam pad later but have been hunting this chair for 20+ years. Works great with my tripod too when running the camera.

MK M GOBL

25_06

Nice,

You have given me an idea to create one out of EMT.

thanks

RH1

Been using yje Browning Strutter for the last few years...decent chair, on the heavy side @ around 6 lbs
Red Hills Turkey Calls

jhoward11

Bought 3 red head run and gun chairs a few years ago and love it $29.99. On the second one now. I did have to lengthen the shoulder strap. Found some wider material, brushed some rubber material on with brush (same material you dip the handle of your tools in) to keep from slipping down. Added hooks to chair and strap, for easy hooking and they work great, even over or around decoy bag.