News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Special Purpose

Started by Cmv82207, February 09, 2023, 07:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmv82207

Hello All,

I wanted a Remington 870 for turkey hunting, I purchased this 1987 Remington Special Purpose NIB. My problem is after having it shipped in and seeing it, it is a true time capsule and has never been assembled and everything is sealed in it's original packaging. I am having trouble deciding if I should use it or keep it as is, my question is, is there value to this Remington, is it a collectible one? I know it's one of the first 870's for turkey hunting before the original camo's came out, what do you all think? Thank you!

MK M GOBL

I wouldn't think collectible as a turkey gun, but as an original SP they are the walnut stock, matte finish and somewhat sought after. If this was a Special Purpose Synthetic Turkey (Mines and 11-87SPST) is would be valued much high to us turkey hunters. There's a number of websites to find out what the gun is valued at. If you are looking to sell the NIB and condition of the gun will add $$$ to it, if you have other turkey gun to use, I would do that and find a value make some money and buy yourself another "Turkey" gun.

MK M GOBL

Ranger

I'd pull that gobbler killing tool out the box and have something you can't buy anymore. Anything you can buy for a turkey gun new will be around for awhile, those are getting harder and harder to find. You bought the ultimate gobbler killing shotgun, get some kills on it.  Hundred dollar bills come and go, like food and well, you know.  Late 80s SP ready for a Spring season its never had.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Cmane08

It definitely has some value but like was previously mentioned, not as much value as the came SPs.  What you do with it is up to you.  If you really like it, I would hunt with it knowing you have an awesome gun that will last forever.  If you're on the fence, I would put it up or sell it.

runngun

I would run a truck load of shells through it,  then I would have to take it to the woods!!!

Have a good one Bo and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

the Ward

Well, no offense intended, but if you just purchased a new in box special purpose that
is still sealed in factory plastic, you probably already know how valuable and collectable it is.
I personally wouldn't take it out of it's sealed wrap, it is a collector piece, and will only become
more valuable with the passage of time I would think.

Greg Massey

Quote from: the Ward on February 10, 2023, 08:14:21 AM
Well, no offense intended, but if you just purchased a new in box special purpose that
is still sealed in factory plastic, you probably already know how valuable and collectable it is.
I personally wouldn't take it out of it's sealed wrap, it is a collector piece, and will only become
more valuable with the passage of time I would think.
X2 ... If i had other guns that are set up for turkey hunting, I would leave it sealed in the box ... great investment in my opinion

Sir-diealot

Been around collecting my entire 53 years of life, you NEVER remove something from it's package if it is meant to be collected. If you have some form of glass box you can put it in (Or wood bookshelf with a fold down glass cover, (I think they call them a Barrister but I am not sure) put it in that, it is even better if it has UV protective glass as the sun and dust as well is smoke from whatever is being smoked will break down the plastic. Or have something built but try to handle it as little as possible.

The better shape it is in the more it will be worth, maybe something that can help your kid or grand kid start a business or go to college on down the line. May please do not take it out, if I had the funds I would buy it from you myself and you could get another used one to use in the woods but don't desecrate the thing if it is that old and in that kind of shape.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

There's pros and cons to both arguments. I myself was in the same predicament. I collected a few of these early SP 870's in original Bottomland, and Greenleaf. I got lucky like you and was able to purchase an 870 Greenleaf NIB for a very good price. I too let it sit for a year without using it until one day I said "What am I doing". I'll leave this gun in the box for someone else to enjoy (I have no children), or should I use this beauty of a Turkey gun. I put an Aimpoint Redot Micro S on it, an Indian Creek Choke Tube, and patterned that baby with TSS. What a shooter, and with its 21 inch barrel, it's a nice, light, maneuverable Turkey weapon. It will be out this year opening day, I have decided to enjoy my find. I take care of all my guns, so I'm not worried about resale, it will look like it does now after many years of enjoyment. I do see the investment side, but I want to enjoy this baby in the field. The value of these guns depends on the camo pattern too. Original Bottomland, Real Tree Xtra Brown, Mossy Oak, finally Greenleaf which seems to be the most sought after. Good luck with whatever you decide, nice find there.....
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

^^ Certainly a valid point, and I can't say I would disagree with it. I guess for me, I would have
a hard time using something so pristine. If I bought something like that, it would be for collector/
investment purposes, and get one that isn't still sealed up to use. But it's a moot point for me, I
couldn't afford one anyways lol! I guess it is up to the one who paid for it to decide what they want
to do with it, and that's fine too.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: the Ward on February 10, 2023, 01:30:27 PM
^^ Certainly a valid point, and I can't say I would disagree with it. I guess for me, I would have
a hard time using something so pristine. If I bought something like that, it would be for collector/
investment purposes, and get one that isn't still sealed up to use. But it's a moot point for me, I
couldn't afford one anyways lol! I guess it is up to the one who paid for it to decide what they want
My friends hate me because I still have things in the original packaging so I know where you are coming from. Tom007 makes a point in that he has no one to pass them down to and I can understand that. I have my nephews who will get the proceeds of whatever I have baring neither ever vote Democrat, so I try to do what I can to increase their value.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PALongspur

Wow congrats on an awesome find!! ????

These were/are awesome guns. I've got my Dad's gun that he purchased in '85 I believe, it's amazing how well it shoots. He killed a pile of turkeys both spring and fall with it before he passed away.

Is this one a fixed full choke?

the Ward

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 10, 2023, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: the Ward on February 10, 2023, 01:30:27 PM
My friends hate me because I still have things in the original packaging so I know where you are coming from. Tom007 makes a point in that he has no one to pass them down to and I can understand that. I have my nephews who will get the proceeds of whatever I have baring neither ever vote Democrat, so I try to do what I can to increase their value.
Good post, makes sense to me.

Cowboy

I'd unwrap it as quick as a kid on Christmas morning! Hunt it and enjoy it. It's yours.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk