Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reflex Sights vs Bushnell Trophy Red dot (light gathering)

Started by bbcoach, February 08, 2023, 06:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I have an 835 that I presently have a Bushnell Trophy Red dot (1x20) for POA/POI issues.  I have been thinking of getting a reflex (red or green) sight.  I see that most of the reflex sights are 1x20 sights.  My question deals with light gathering.  Since both sights are 1x20's, does the reflex sights gather more light especially at daybreak during flydown?  I feel the Red dot's only fault is at first light.  The Red dot has NO zero issues, even with 3 1/2 inch Hevi's, and has put plenty of birds in the bag.  Pro's and Cons would be Greatly appreciated.

silvestris

Really, light-gathering is not an issue with a reflex sight.  You probably need to turn the reticle down at first light and remember to turn it back up as the sun continues to rise.  It is problematic when a gobbler is close and you realize that the sight is not set high enough when it is time to shoot.  Now, that is an issue.  So it is not light-gathering that is a problem, rather than proper recicle brightness.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

What he ^ said.   And some reflex sights have an auto brightness feature to keep it bright enough for the light conditions you find yourself in.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!