turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Follow Up On The Leafy Jacket Discussion

Started by mountainhunter1, February 06, 2023, 08:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

For years, I have wondered about the North Mtn Gear leafy jacket. I have a bunch of great shirts that I use for turkey season, but have always thought that the NMG leafy would blend so well in the woods. But I have a question that I have wanted to ask for a long time - are they too warm in the woods? I realize is has a lot of mesh on it, but it does appear that they are designed to be worn over another piece of camo, so I am wondering about heat generation.

Please understand where I am hunting at, as temperature and location of the country will affect your answer - in North Georgia where it will usually start out around 45-60 at daylight, and then can be easily 80 degrees plus by twelve noon. I am also hunting in the mtn's and find myself doing a lot of up and down generating heat which also contributes to not being able to wear much. I find myself many days being pretty darn warm with even a ultra thin one layer bottomland camo top on by late morning. So, is this NMG going to add heat to that one layer, or it is so much mesh that it really does not add any?

Thanks for any feedback.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tom007

When temps are up at the end of our NY, NJ season, I wear a short sleeve tee with the NMG pullover. In my experience, when it's near 80 during Turkey in my area, you generate heat with just a long sleeve T. I don't see the NMG adding too much toward "overheating". I will say, that your conditions are definitely hotter, so hopefully someone from your area will chime in with better advice here. Good luck to you....
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

I'm in central Ky but hunt the mountains in Eastern KY the most. Same deal here, 30s to low 50s in the mornings, upper 80's in a few hours. I have the north mountain gear and the nomad. In my opinion the Nomad looks better, it's made better, and it fits better. Like Tom said, you will get warm in it, but at 80+ degrees and on the move, you'll get hot in anything. I love mine, the North Mountain gear one stays at the house and the Nomad stays in the vest or in my truck. I love the thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I think regardless of what you try to wear your going to deal with cold, hot and sweaty conditions while turkey hunting. It's just all a part of chasing and hunting these gobblers in all kinds of terrain so again it's hard to find just the perfect clothing all the time. IMO... I've tried the leafy clothing, didn't care for it hanging on just about everything in the woods and fields. SO i will stick with regular camo for my needs.

paboxcall

Think of this way. Its mesh, so zero insulating value (one wouldn't wear it in cold weather believing the pull over is going to keep them warmer).

When temps go up late morning, the under layers come off and the mesh North Mountain pull over goes back on.

North Mountain quality is so good, my Cabela's leafy wear got canned. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

cracker4112

I'm down here in Osceola country, its hot!  I have the original MO Diffusion and the NMG pullover.  The new one has a little bit tighter mesh and seems to be a bit warmer than the original.  That said, its hot either way and I wear mine with a t-shirt underneath and I don't think it makes me hotter than wearing a lightweight long sleeve camo shirt. Plus, I just use the pouch for my gear and have no real need for a vest and haven't worn one in years.

Sixes

I live and hunt in Georgia, south of the area that you are talking about, but I've worn mine from 30s/40s in the morning to 80s+ in the afternoon.

It will add heat, but not a lot of heat.  The material works great as a layer over a T-Shirt  when its warm or a lyer over a warm pullover when its cooler.

I wear mine a ton in early bow season with a thin tshirt and can usually feel a slight breeze coming though the mesh.

I really like the product other than the zipper seems weak and mine has messed up after 2-3 years of use. I cannot zip the pouch completely without it wanting to stick. I just leave it a half inch open when zipping

mountainhunter1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

g8rvet

North Florida here.  I have killed birds on warm mornings before work with a green scrub top under the NMG suit.  It breathes fairly well.  When it is really hot, I use the pouch and my pockets to ditch the vest and go minimal.  Works well for that.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Crghss

I hunt South Florida and use NMG. I love it. Breathes really well.

Doesn't get hotter then anything else I'd need to wear. I layer clothes, long sleeve T's. Take off as needed. Lotta days it's 85 degrees & 85 % humidity after lunch.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

bigdrumnc

I tried to be cheap and ordered the amazon version.  It was basically a tent window mesh with leaves.  The sizing was funky and it seemed shiny.  I returned it and ordered a north mountain gear pullover.

aclawrence

I have two of them. I think they're pretty versatile for a wide range of temps. I wish they would make a small/medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budtripp

I been eyeing them for a couple years now. Last thing I need is another leafy suit, but I'm still thinking about it. Question, would the med/large size fit someone 5'10 and 200ish lbs? Or would I need the bigger size? I'm usually a large in most things but the med/large desc has me wondering.

g8rvet

I bought the size shirt I wear and it is baggy enough to wear over layers of clothing.  It would not cover a really heavy jacket with comfort, but multiple fleece and shirt layers it is perfect.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Neill_Prater

Forty plus years ago, I bought an ultra lightweight camo jacket from a company named Spartan, made in the good old USA. Not leafy, but made of a loosely knit , almost gauze like material. Put it on over a short sleeved T, and it is almost like wearing nothing.

It's badly worn, has a couple of tears and the camo is faded, but I can't make myself throw it away because at least a couple of times a year, usually while afternoon hunting in Kansas, when it's 90 degrees, I will wear it.

It's one of those things that I always wonder why they quit making them. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I've tried several other lightweight mesh jackets, but they are all hotter and less comfortable.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk