turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend a box

Started by Borden811, February 05, 2023, 01:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

This is going to sound dumb, but, of the pile of turkeys I've killed, none have been with a box call. I lug one around in my vest($30 run of the mill commercial call), but never reach for it. That being said, I'd like to get a nice custom box call, and kill some birds with it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good call, that won't break the bank?

Greg Massey

SS Custom Calls - Al Shoemaker .. for the money one of the best custom boxes you can buy ... check their website for what's available ... Also check with Mike at Spring Creek Calls ...  IMO

Big Jeremy

It's been mentioned recently in another thread, but I don't think there's a better call available for the money than Spring Creek Custom Calls. Mike's calls sound fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2023, 01:14:41 PM
SS Custom Calls - Al Shoemaker .. for the money one of the best custom boxes you can buy ... check their website for what's available ... Also check with Mike at Spring Creek Calls ...  IMO

I second Greg's thoughts and am not sure that a box from SS can be beat for the price.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

letinmfly

You won't find a better box for the money than an SS box from Al and Josh. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

turkey stew

Quote from: letinmfly on February 05, 2023, 01:58:28 PM
You won't find a better box for the money than an SS box from Al and Josh.
SSCustom is a mighty fine box for the money!

shatcher

In no particular order:  SS, Jeff McKamey (Twisting Creek Calls) and Jeff White.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Spring Creek Custom Calls good guy.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Zobo

Agree with Greg and everyone else. An S&S box is a shockingly good call for the money, every one I've played is tuned in just right. And so many people have such good things to say about Spring Creek and Mikes, it's GOT to be true. An S&S box typically costs a bit more than Spring Creek box, but both are very reasonable for hand made.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Big Jeremy

I should have mentioned some other options earlier.

I have and occasionally use a blood wood over cedar call from Mike (Spring Creek) just like the one mentioned above. It's excellent.

I also have and occasionally use an SS ironwood over mineral poplar money box. It's excellent.

I also have and occasionally use a Mark Six (Green's Run Calls) black palm over black limba short box. It's excellent.

All three of those boxes were within $15-$20 of each other, and if you told me my life depended on choosing the best sounding of the three, I may well lose my life.

I'm sure there are other fairly economical box calls available, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three I've mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowbird87

TJ Johnson
Jeff McKamey
Mike Lapp
Tim Bullock
SS

Rtr1987

I'd recommend Mr. Mike Robare or Mr. Craig Hevner. Both can be found on Facebook and make great box calls. Great guys to deal with as well!