turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lip Stop or No Lip Stop

Started by wyetterp, February 05, 2023, 01:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

I listened to Mark Prudhomme run a tube at Unicoi.  I'm going to try a tube without a lip rest......LOL!!!

packmule

:TooFunny: Isn't that the truth Marvin.

wyetterp

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 08, 2023, 10:26:34 AM
wyetterp, I also highly recommend ordering one from Tom Osmer (scpossum on here, Possum Fork Turkey Calls on FB). He makes an awesome tube! Once you're proficient with one that has a lip stop, it will be easier to learn one that doesn't have one.

As for the discussion on the lip stop terminology, isn't this the "Tube Calls" sub forum?  ;D

I will check it out for sure. Trying to learn more before I start just randomly ordering.

Quote from: tal on February 08, 2023, 09:07:45 AM
:z-twocents:  I like to call it a lip rest on a tube and a lip stop on a yelper. Cuts down on misunderstandings. Have you looked at the bevels on the lip rests that Scpossum makes? Gives you better access to the latex with the ease of a lip rest still. It's only smart to educate yourself before you buy but the only way to know for sure what works for you is to try them. The best tubes are not expensive and before I would compromise my sound quality with geese or turkeys I would consider having both. I wouldn't advise someone just starting on a trumpet to not use a lip stop. If you are just learning to use a tube call I would also advise starting with a lip rest. My thoughts and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee at better restaurants.

Still learning so lots of good info being given. Just recently started hearing about the bevels & going to research that too. Being a SC guy I have been hearing good things about scpossum. I see some with a wide bore open end & a reduced restricted end.

Can someone help educate me on that too?

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 08, 2023, 10:26:34 AM
wyetterp, I also highly recommend ordering one from Tom Osmer (scpossum on here, Possum Fork Turkey Calls on FB). He makes an awesome tube! Once you're proficient with one that has a lip stop, it will be easier to learn one that doesn't have one.

As for the discussion on the lip stop terminology, isn't this the "Tube Calls" sub forum?  ;D

I'll add him to the list to look at. Seeing a lot of good makers now & finding more & more.

Staring to compile & checklist of what style I may want to order with one or two at least. Still learning a lot I didn't realize with the build detail I need to figure out. I appreciate the input.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

wyetterp

A hard part of trying to figure this out is hating facebook. It's so hard to get compiled info & descriptions without having to waste way too much time digging through fb & random posts & pics.

Still in the rabbit hole though trying to learn the different designs & why. I realized they are vastly different & it's obvious a tube isn't just a tube.

wyetterp

Guess I also need to be educated on the types & thickness of the latex & what the difference is.

Jbird22

I don't do Facebook, never have and hopefully never will. There's plenty of quality info to be found without looking there.

Back to tubes, there are baffled (smaller diameter on the end) and unbaffled (not restricted at all). There's not that much difference in playability between them IMO.

Latex thickness preference will vary between people. Try a few different ones and you'll find what suits you.

Tarheel

Frankly, IMHO getting the crinkle in the latex at the right spot and getting the latex tension right is just as important as the thickness of the latex you use.  I recommend you start at .004.

wyetterp

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 10, 2023, 06:16:43 PM
I don't do Facebook, never have and hopefully never will. There's plenty of quality info to be found without looking there.

Back to tubes, there are baffled (smaller diameter on the end) and unbaffled (not restricted at all). There's not that much difference in playability between them IMO.

Latex thickness preference will vary between people. Try a few different ones and you'll find what suits you.

Okay gotcha about the baffled vs unbaffled. Figured there would be a noticeable difference. Guessing it's a sound/tone thing then.

Quote from: Tarheel on February 10, 2023, 08:00:54 PM
Frankly, IMHO getting the crinkle in the latex at the right spot and getting the latex tension right is just as important as the thickness of the latex you use.  I recommend you start at .004.

Whats the "crinkle"?  Sorry trying to piece this all together.

Tarheel

When you install your latex on the tube, you have to position and adjust the latex....and adjust the tension of the latex.  Many people who play a tube well will pull the latex at the top of the call opening relaxing the tension enough that there will be several crinkles in the latex surface. The point of doing this increases rasp and lowers the pitch....and reduces the squeal from higher tension. 

wyetterp

Quote from: Tarheel on February 10, 2023, 11:23:27 PM
When you install your latex on the tube, you have to position and adjust the latex....and adjust the tension of the latex.  Many people who play a tube well will pull the latex at the top of the call opening relaxing the tension enough that there will be several crinkles in the latex surface. The point of doing this increases rasp and lowers the pitch....and reduces the squeal from higher tension.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Tarheel

Learning how to adjust and tension the latex for you on a tube call is a key factor in the realism you are able to achieve.  IMHO the tube is more difficult to master than the trumpet.  There's a lot of trial and error adjusting and figuring out what to do and what not to do with a tube call....that's just the nature of the learning curve.  After listening to Mark Prudhomme run a tube call at Unicoi, I quickly realized how far and how much work yet I have to do to play a tube call as well as I would like to be able. There's no easy secret to playing a tube call well.  You have to do the work. That doesn't mean those of us with lesser skills playing a tube call can't kill turkeys....we can, but it sure would be nice to be able to obtain that degree of skill.

wyetterp

Quote from: Tarheel on February 10, 2023, 10:07:55 AM
I listened to Mark Prudhomme run a tube at Unicoi.  I'm going to try a tube without a lip rest......LOL!!!

I don't see anything wrong with that for sure. Really, listening to him is why I want to know more about tubes & the no lip stop. That man is a walking rosetta stone of turkey language.

Quote from: Tarheel on February 11, 2023, 10:07:43 AM
Learning how to adjust and tension the latex for you on a tube call is a key factor in the realism you are able to achieve.  IMHO the tube is more difficult to master than the trumpet.  There's a lot of trial and error adjusting and figuring out what to do and what not to do with a tube call....that's just the nature of the learning curve.  After listening to Mark Prudhomme run a tube call at Unicoi, I quickly realized how far and how much work yet I have to do to play a tube call as well as I would like to be able. There's no easy secret to playing a tube call well.  You have to do the work. That doesn't mean those of us with lesser skills playing a tube call can't kill turkeys....we can, but it sure would be nice to be able to obtain that degree of skill.

There's a lot of good knowledge there I'm trying to learn. That made a handful of things click for me. Thanks!

My mind always has to understand the little details that add up for me to figure out what I'm doing. I'm sure I'm over thinking a lot about tubes.....but I have figured out the shapes, latex, stops or no stops, & material really affects what produces real turkey vs close.

Y'all are filling in a lot of me curiosity. Pretty close to ordered a small variety to see what works for me & what works that the turkeys wanna hear.

Sir-diealot

When you say lipstop do you mean when it has that kind of curved indent in the part your lips would go against? I had always called them a bevel but I guess that is not the right term. Thanks and best of luck with whatever you end up getting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

Is there another call outside the Prudhomme that does not have a lip stop?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wyetterp

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2023, 08:46:37 AM
When you say lipstop do you mean when it has that kind of curved indent in the part your lips would go against? I had always called them a bevel but I guess that is not the right term. Thanks and best of luck with whatever you end up getting.

Yes. I might have it wrong myself. Thanks for the support. Hopefully I don't get too addicted to those like everything else I see in OG. Pretty soon I'm going to have to do a thread on what cabinets to use to store all the stuff. Wife isn't on to me yet though!!!

Quote from: davisd9 on February 12, 2023, 09:21:21 AM
Is there another call outside the Prudhomme that does not have a lip stop?

I've been seeing a handful of makers that offer them. I'd guess they'd make 'em however you prefer. Probably less work & easier to turn out. At least I'd guess.