turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lip Stop or No Lip Stop

Started by wyetterp, February 05, 2023, 01:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyetterp

About to order my first tube & curious if most of you prefer a lip stop or no lip stop. Any advantages or disadvantages to either?

Always get the best advice from the OG's.

I did search, but couldn't find a good break down or explanation to either.

Thanks!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

outdoors

I prefer a lipstop , it's like a Sweet spot on a pot call  I go right to it  , at the beginning I when I first get it I tune it up
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ChesterCopperpot

Lots of advantages and zero disadvantages to running a lipstop. Even more advantages if you're just getting started. Main things is it's going to allow you to hold the same place every time, something folks are bad to move around with early on. Also helps build a good seal. Once you've done it long enough it tends not matter so much. I run them the same whether there's a lipstop or not. But regardless there's no real reason not to other than aesthetics (I personally think they look horrible on a lot of wingbones, Tony's turned corks being an exception).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol bob

Are we talking about a tube or trumpet?

wyetterp

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: wyetterp on February 06, 2023, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: ol bob on February 05, 2023, 11:09:00 AM

Tubes.
I apologize. I don't know the first thing about tubes. Disregard that earlier post.

crow

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 06, 2023, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: wyetterp on February 06, 2023, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: ol bob on February 05, 2023, 11:09:00 AM

Tubes.
I apologize. I don't know the first thing about tubes. Disregard that earlier post.

Too late, thought you meant tube calls and already JB welded a big stainless washer onto my ivory call, now what

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: crow on February 06, 2023, 06:25:49 PM
Too late, thought you meant tube calls and already JB welded a big stainless washer onto my ivory call, now what
You can mail it to me and I'll salvage what's left of the ivory.

crow

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 06, 2023, 06:37:20 PM
Quote from: crow on February 06, 2023, 06:25:49 PM
You can mail it to me and I'll salvage what's left of the ivory.

well I'm torn between making it into a bunch of ivory toothpicks like in the old westerns or a salt shaker, but I could send you a picture

Jbird22

Here's my .02 ...

- It's easier to run one with a lip stop
- Reed placement is more repeatable on one with a lip stop
- You can get more rasp with one that doesn't a lip stop
- Both will call turkeys, just takes practice to be proficient with either

runngun

Definitely with a lip stop, set it up about 1/4 to 3/16 and go to town!!! Only way to get it consistent.

Have a good one, Bo

DISREGARD @?/×+×÷/_< I DID THE SAME THING THAT CHESTER DID, I AM TALKING TRUMPET AND WINGBONES
BUT YES ON LIPSTOP ON TUBE AS WELL

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

wyetterp

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 07, 2023, 01:54:39 PM
Here's my .02 ...

- It's easier to run one with a lip stop
- Reed placement is more repeatable on one with a lip stop
- You can get more rasp with one that doesn't a lip stop
- Both will call turkeys, just takes practice to be proficient with either

That's what I needed to hear. My hen in my head is always an old raspy one & was wondering. I just saw a couple people mentioning having more vocal control without the lip stop (on a tube, lol).

Before I order my first one I'm trying to learn if some prefer the stop as most makers have one. Seems like it would be better to just learn on one without from the start.

I didn't really want to buy two at the beginning just to figure it out.

The way OG has an effect on me though, I have a feeling I'll end up with a handful.

tal

:z-twocents:  I like to call it a lip rest on a tube and a lip stop on a yelper. Cuts down on misunderstandings. Have you looked at the bevels on the lip rests that Scpossum makes? Gives you better access to the latex with the ease of a lip rest still. It's only smart to educate yourself before you buy but the only way to know for sure what works for you is to try them. The best tubes are not expensive and before I would compromise my sound quality with geese or turkeys I would consider having both. I wouldn't advise someone just starting on a trumpet to not use a lip stop. If you are just learning to use a tube call I would also advise starting with a lip rest. My thoughts and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee at better restaurants.

Greg Massey

Quote from: tal on February 08, 2023, 09:07:45 AM
:z-twocents:  I like to call it a lip rest on a tube and a lip stop on a yelper. Cuts down on misunderstandings. Have you looked at the bevels on the lip rests that Scpossum makes? Gives you better access to the latex with the ease of a lip rest still. It's only smart to educate yourself before you buy but the only way to know for sure what works for you is to try them. The best tubes are not expensive and before I would compromise my sound quality with geese or turkeys I would consider having both. I wouldn't advise someone just starting on a trumpet to not use a lip stop. If you are just learning to use a tube call I would also advise starting with a lip rest. My thoughts and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee at better restaurants.
Glad i took your advice in ordering my tube from Scpossum ...Guys best to listen to tal his tube knowledge is some of the best ... If you could only see his tube collection...omg....

Jbird22

wyetterp, I also highly recommend ordering one from Tom Osmer (scpossum on here, Possum Fork Turkey Calls on FB). He makes an awesome tube! Once you're proficient with one that has a lip stop, it will be easier to learn one that doesn't have one.

As for the discussion on the lip stop terminology, isn't this the "Tube Calls" sub forum?  ;D