OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Our calls are like musical Instruments and need protected

Started by Turkeybutt, January 31, 2023, 08:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

I got to thinking about how a call may sound fantastic maybe in your garage or in the woods but the next time you pick it up that sound quality is gone. That sound quality made also change over a period of time and it got me thinking what I can do to help maintain that sound quality.
Our calls be it a box call, a pot call, push pin whatever; they are an instrument something we play much like a precious musical instrument.
So, I started to wonder what does a professional violinist do to protect his or her instrument and what I read made sense and I think applies to our calls.
The violin is a precious and fragile instrument that needs to be treated with great care. So, learning how to protect your violin is of the utmost importance. I think we can learn a little something about protecting our calls.
Remember, the sound box is made of wood, an organic material that can change based on the environment it is in.
It can feel hot, cold, dry, and humid. And under extreme conditions, these environmental forces can be damaging to the call, and its sound.
1Treat Your Turkey Call Like A Child
If your child runs out into the cold weather, you make sure he or she puts on a jacket.
And you wouldn't leave your child in a car under the hot sun with all the windows closed either.
This is how you need to treat your call as well. Now these may seem like extreme examples, but we have to pay attention to the little things as well.

Do you place your call (even in its case) close to a window? Where at a certain time of the day, sunlight starts to directly shine on your call or case?
•   Do you leave your calls up on the dash of your truck in direct sunlight?
•   Do you leave them out in the cold overnight?
Paying attention to the little details will ensure that the sound of your call is well protected.
2. Keep Your Hands Clean
Remember how we've always been taught to wash our hands before eating? This is a good concept to keep in mind before playing your calls as well.
Dirt and oil on our fingers can damage and change the sound.
•   If you touch the top of the side rails of your box call the dirt and or oil on your fingers can change the quality of the sound.
So wash your hands and pat them dry before each playing session.
What if you get sweaty easily? Then make a good habit of wiping down your call often with a piece of dry fabric every time you sweat.
Sweat is water. Water on wood is water damage. The wood of the call can absorb water causing it to expand or warp, affecting the overall sound of your call.
Which leads us to our next tip.
3. Wipe Down Your Call After Each Practice or Hunt
After each practice or hunt, wipe your calls with a dry piece of fabric. Ideally made of microfiber.
4. Get A Humidifier for Cold & Dry Climates
If you're living in an area that's often cold & dry, the wood on your call may dry as well, leading to cracks, which will affect the sound.

Just some food for thought guys.

Tom007

Anything left in a hot car made of wood, laminate, plastic, carbonate etc will be affected by heat. I think this applies to all calls. My friend left his Crossbow in his car trunk for a few days in the heat, the limbs cracked. If you have to leave calls, or anything that heat could damage, crack the windows a bit. Will take the pressure out, will help dissipate the heat....good thread....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

This is some great information. I agree, take care of your calls and they will help you in killing a gobbler.  I don't leave my calls in the hot truck or whatever. I always bring them back inside after each hunt.   If it's really cold that morning i will put a couple of hand warmers inside my Glenda Green satchel, to help keep them warm. Hand warmers are a turkey hunters best friend in many ways.