OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hearing protection

Started by RLAG, January 27, 2023, 07:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLAG

Historically I've never been concerned about my hearing for one shot since I was carrying a semi auto with 28" barrel. This year I plan on carrying a 21" 870. That thing is way way louder because of the short barrel and ported choke.

Does anyone have any experience with ear pro that filters out high dB but still allows you to hear hen talk/drumming normally?

I shot competitively in college and a model that guys used was prem-ear molded ear plugs that had filter. They could talk normally but it would filter out above a certain dB exposure. Didn't know if something like that or electronic ones would be better. I've got a lot of years of hunting ahead of me and I'd like to hear gobbles for a long long time.

I have the version without a filter and man are they awesome, blocks out almost everything.

http://premearhearing.com/wp/passive-protection/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

For patterning and just practicing i do use a good pair of ear muffs . But for turkey hunting no. I want to hear him walking in the leaves and such ... your ears and listening is a big part of trying to kill him... I've never seen the need for hearing enhancements, but i have good hearing.. But i could see others who may need hearing-aids or other means of hearing enhancements. So hunt with whatever you need to enjoy turkey hunting .. IMO... I've used a 21 inch barrel 870 -12/20 ga. for years, turkey hunting. You usually only need a one shot kill... All the facemask i use cover my ears somewhat ...

RLAG

These would not be for enhancing, I'm referring to something that would still allow me to hear him walking or drum but would cut out the blast from the shot

Greg Massey

Quote from: RLAG on January 27, 2023, 07:44:26 PM
These would not be for enhancing, I'm referring to something that would still allow me to hear him walking or drum but would cut out the blast from the shot

I wouldn't buy anything like your talking about for myself. IMO .... But you do whatever you think you need to be successful in turkey hunting..

Dtrkyman

Tetra is one, no experience with them but they are starting to gain popilarity.  Meateater had a gal on the podcast that was making them, she was an ent and designed some for shooting/hunting. 

RLAG

Tetra looks like they've got it figured out but then again I sure hope so at $850/pair

Nathan_Wiles

I wear the Tetra's for deer, ducks, and turkey.
I have significant hearing loss in my left ear and some loss in the right. These work great for me, and they block the sound from the shot.
I can actually tell where a turkey is now and judge distance again. It's great to hear em beyond 100yds.
* the folks at tetra are really great to work with*

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

Get a 23 or 26 inch bbl or a non ported Choke.
Try using a lighter load.  All better options than hearing protection for hunting.

Hearing protection use for patterning obviously

Big Timber

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on January 27, 2023, 09:37:44 PM
I have significant hearing loss in my left ear and some loss in the right. These work great for me, and they block the sound from the shot.
I can actually tell where a turkey is now and judge distance again. It's great to hear em beyond 100yds.

Can you hear drumming better with the Tetra?

Sir-diealot

I have something like you are talking about, I just looked and they were not where I thought they would be but I will keep looking. I have used them both for shooting and at concerts with good results. Just be sure they are rated for shooting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: Big Timber on January 31, 2023, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on January 27, 2023, 09:37:44 PM

Can you hear drumming better with the Tetra?
Yes, I can, but I need to qualify that answer: I couldn't hear it all for a very long time. So better is relative from zero to I can hear is a big improvement. If you can hear it still I can't say how much it might improve that.

Tyoung

Give Tetra a try and you won't regret it.