only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Post season Fed PICs

Started by Fullfan, June 20, 2011, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullfan

Post season testing
« on: Today at 04:02:13 PM »    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying everything I know to get the Fed Hevi weights to pattern, not having much luck.

My gun is a  3" 11-87 with a polished 21" barrel.
First up was the Pure Gold tempest and the Fed #7's, best I could do was 130 in a ten at 40, pattern was thin and had baseball size holes through out the entire pattern.

Next was a Hastings .665 non ported, about the same results 120 ish hits in the ten.

Went back to the factory choke from Remington and was able to get 155 in the ten. The factory choke pattern was very good overall.

I cleaned the barrel after every shot and the shooting was all done on the same day, taking about 1.5 hours to shoot.

I did shoot a 3.5 Fed Hevi #7 shot through my fathers 11-87 super mag with a 28" barrel and the tempest. with a 1/8oz more shot in the 3.5 shell I received 150 hits in the ten at 40.    

I don't know if I should keep trying or give it up? The Fed shells rocked the patterning backer with every shot . I just wish I could get better numbers.....

And no I did not take any pic's.
 Okay here

Don't gobble at me...

savduck

Keep spending money till you find something it likes or settle for the factory tube.
Georgia Boy

Fullfan

As far as the shot in the shells, they are marked #7 and I am not going to cut one open. I gave $ 44.00 for a box of ten, X3 adds up real fast. $ 70.00 for the tempest and $ 50.00 for the hastings. I sent the tempest back for a refund so I am only into this for about $ 190.00 ish. The factory tube is looking real good about now.  But I receive way better results with the old Mad Max and the clear hull Hevi, which I just happen to have about 80 of them buggers.

Maybe I should listen to the ol man, my gun killed 9 longbeards this past spring with a JH .655 and the Hevi #7's, "if it is not broken don't fix it"

And one more thing, I read where guys are putting up better #'s form the 20ga with the Fed Heviweights. Just blows my mind as to how????
Don't gobble at me...

Longshanks

Rem 870,  21 barrel , Kicks .655   Hevi 7's

234 in a 12" circle at 40yds.      210 in a 10" circle @ 40.

* High numbers with lead as well. Win XX 6's.

Fullfan

shanks

I also received great results with the Hevi #7's through my IC and JH chokes. I watched 9 gobblets die out to 44 yds this past spring.

Guess I will put the Federals away untill a better choke comes along.

Don't gobble at me...

PALongspur

Rob Roberts is the guy to talk to, he's done alot of work with Federal Heavyweight. www.gobblerguns.com

woody

Quote from: PALongspur on June 20, 2011, 09:39:48 PM
Rob Roberts is the guy to talk to, he's done alot of work with Federal Heavyweight. www.gobblerguns.com

I talked witrh Rob a few weeks ago and he told me about the mismarked shells as someone pointed out.  A lot of shells marked 7's were really 6's.  He can tell you the lot number for the mismarked ones.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

The flight control wad tends to perform more attractively in the larger bore Mossbergs and Brownings.

The smaller bore 12's, including Remington's tend to conflict with the wad due to it's highly rigid properties.

The loads you're working with tend to be frustrating.

SumToy

DONT TAKE THIS AS THAT I LIKE THE SHELL.   LOL

I think you may see better numbers not big numbers with a bigger choke.  That shell hits hard but if you put 2 to 3 times the shot with brand B why pay more for them.   If they would soften the wad up in them they would work better then they do now. 

If you are going to shoot them and have small chokes keep a eye on the choke and the barrel around the threads.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Reloader

Fullfan, what type of range you looking for with them?

Remember that the HWs don't bleed off like HS. IE you lose less of the core over a given range. Those 7s are packin' too. If I had an even pattern around 80-100 with HW7s at the max range I intended to shoot one, I'd call it a day.

With the low pellet count, super high counts are going to be pretty tight over all.

Was it G74 that had the 120 counts at 60yds with them?  I believe he was using a very tight choke.

Bwk

My Browning shoot those shells better with a slightly dirty barrel,try that.

Quax

My browning gold puts up good numbers with a non ported Hastings 660. Have a weatherby sa-08 that puts up 160 with a Carlson 660 and it's a .730 bore gun I believe.  155 isn't bad with that shell as that H15 at 1300fps is smoking

Fullfan

2oz The tempest choke was .720 and the hastings was .665, as was the factory rem choke.
Reloader, I shot the gun today at 30 and I got 191 in the ten, with the rem choke.
Over the past 30 some years I remember only several birds that were shot at 40- 45 yds. Most were in the 30yds ballpark.

I have told myself that next spring the Fed Mag shocks will be in my gun.

Thanks for all the input that I have received, that is what makes ths place fun to hang out.
Don't gobble at me...

Fullfan

Hawg, I do shoot at large paper and I will be getting a count this morning. I will report back.
Don't gobble at me...

Fullfan

Okay was able to get a total count give or take several. I shoot at paper that is 24"X36", I counted 318 holes in one and 286 in the other.
The shells were 3" 1 5/8 oz #7 shot
Don't gobble at me...