turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shot trap

Started by muddyhole, June 19, 2011, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyhole

anybody make one to reuse the shot?  got any pics of it or plans that you built it by?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: muddyhole on June 19, 2011, 02:49:29 PM
anybody make one to reuse the shot?  got any pics of it or plans that you built it by?

I use logs and railroad ties as a backstop to my shooting range.  I have a central area about 5' x 5' that is really a kind of pit. My targets are pretty much centered in that area. Surrounding that I have logs from timber I've cut here on the property. That adds another 4' or so to the top and sides of the 5' pit. Since most of my shots with shotguns are 40 yards or less at this area, very little shot escapes the entire backstop.

The center logs get "eaten" by tungsten based shot pretty quickly and that shot falls to the ground in a pit and is pretty easy to pick up using an industrial magnet. (All the tungsten-based shot types with the exception of WXRHD are attracted to the magnet. I usually have to scoop up the WXRHD.)  I picked up several pounds not long ago and I really need to do that again.

I shoot very little lead, so I don't really make an effort to reclaim it.

I know that would not be a practical solution for most folks but it works well for me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."