OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth Loads

Started by tmcguire, December 15, 2022, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcguire

I'm wondering if anyone has cooked up a youth .410 load for especially petite youngsters. With TSS now, I know the craze is turning sub gauges into 40 yard + guns. I just want a super light kicking 20-30yard gun for my daughter.

7/8 oz of #8 shot at around 1060fps seems to be the norm for the new .410 TSS rounds. I know from experience that surprisingly that round can hold a turkey killing pattern for 40-50 yards. Going to see how my daughter can handle that round, if she can't I'm thinking of working up a 20-30 yard round for my daughter. Something like 5/8oz TSS @ 1000fps. Before I go playing around with expensive test shots, I figured I would see if anyone has explored this.

Just FYI I'm taking about private land, decoys at 10, ranged bird situations for my daughter.

Bowguy

Brother I can't help you but I should mention my daughters, especially one, was super petite. By 10 she was shooting a 20 ga and killing birds. I'd never let her shoot full loads practice. I'd pattern the gun not around her, let her shoot some light reloads than slip in a turkey load come season.
You're thinking the right way looking for closer, easier shots but I've never shot a .410 that was too much for any child. I personally like .28 as a better option if one is available.
Sorry to not answer your question directly. Just offering considerations. Good luck

tmcguire

Thanks for the reply, your method is probably best. Let them practice with the smaller rounds and then use the real ones come season.

hunter85

I've done the same with my granddaughter. Have her practice with 2 1/2 bird shot loads and will load a hunt load when hunting. I promise when it is go time and a bird is in front of her she won't feel any recoil at all regardless of what she is shooting. The problem comes about for most people where a flinch or recoil fear usually comes about from practicing with something that kicks the snot out of them.

btomlin

I saw that Salt Creek ammo has a 2 1/2" tss 10shot for the 410. 

runngun

I really think that a 28 gauge is perfect for a child,  light weight and minimum recoil/noise. Heck, I love this load for grown up folks as well. In my opinion 28 gauge is the most efficient cartridge. 

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TrackeySauresRex

When by boy was a little guy,  I trained him with  light 2-3/4 dove loads. When we hunted I slipped in the Hevi. He never new the difference.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."