turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mountain Men / Turkey Hunt - Final Season last Night

Started by Greg Massey, December 09, 2022, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Last night was this season's final of Mountain Men and during the show, Tom and his brother were on a spring turkey hunt. Tom was using a box call that Ron made and a Ivan Williams single barrel 12 gauge and his brother was using a double barrel black powder shotgun with side hammers that was way over 100 years old and still functioning. The gun went back to British Royalty. They both supposedly sat and Tom called with his box call for around 2 hours and they both harvested a gobbler and then it showed them both on the tailgate of Tom truck plucking the gobblers... If you missed the final, it's worth going back and watching Tom brother who builds muzzleloaders using that old long barrel side x side black powder hammer gun.... I would love to have one of those old black powder shotguns like he was using and kill a turkey with it, that would be pretty special.

crow

I'll have to look it up, sounds good.

gave up on that show about 3 years ago, every episode Eustice was going to lose his farm, after a 3 yr break I tuned in several weeks ago, there it was, Eustice still had his place but was on the very edge of having it taken away from him  :TooFunny:

I did like watching Tom, pretty tough old bird

ol bob

Never could figure out how Eustice was a mountain man when his place was about 5 miles from downtown Boone N.C.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ol bob on December 09, 2022, 02:56:34 PM
Never could figure out how Eustice was a mountain man when his place was about 5 miles from downtown Boone N.C.
A lot of it has to do with him still using primitive tools, old style sawmill and logging with horses. He's just trying to show how the old ways once were etc.. good show regardless... RIP ... Preston Roberts

GobbleGitr

Thanks for heads up, enjoying the episode right now.  A couple clarifications; it is a spring, not a fall turkey hunt (they actually discuss this at one point). And Tom Oar didn't make the box call, it was made by Ron Clough.  I have a wingbone call that Tom Oar made for me...primitive but very cool coming from him.  Love the way he utilizes natural materials to do so many things.

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleGitr on December 09, 2022, 05:30:23 PM
Thanks for heads up, enjoying the episode right now.  A couple clarifications; it is a spring, not a fall turkey hunt (they actually discuss this at one point). And Tom Oar didn't make the box call, it was made by Ron Clough.  I have a wingbone call that Tom Oar made for me...primitive but very cool coming from him.  Love the way he utilizes natural materials to do so many things.
Thanks ...

Cottonmouth

Was it a single barrel or single shot ? Most guns have a single barrel but can be a single shot, auto, or pump. Sorry, just a pet peave of mine.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Cottonmouth on December 10, 2022, 05:32:38 PM
Was it a single barrel or single shot ? Most guns have a single barrel but can be a single shot, auto, or pump. Sorry, just a pet peave of mine.
Watch the show and decide for yourself ... :TooFunny: