OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first dedicated turkey gun

Started by SteveF, January 16, 2023, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveF

Hello all,

I'm new here and have spent weeks reading!

I ordered the new Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey.  Really excited to get my hands on it!

I could use some advise/guidance:

I have decided on the Holosun 507c-GR x2.  However, I'm thinking of using the Sumtoy mount.  Any negatives or opinions?

I am debating on TSS ammo manufacturer as well.  Considering Apex, Rogue, Foxtrot or Verdict.  Will do 9 shot (based on my research).  I see most are roll crimped, however, the Foxtrot is folded.  Not sure what is better?

Debating on choke, which is really difficult.  I want a good full pattern to take advantage at longer ranges if needed, however, the vast majority of my birds are close.  I do not want a crazy tight pattern.  Considering Indian Creek, Jebs and Sumtoy.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great week all,
Steve

Kygobblergetter

Love the sumtoy mount. Highly recommend. I have shot several different brands of tss through my gun and they all shot pretty much the same except my gun didn't like the federals. I would start with the factory turkey choke and then go from there as it will most likely get you killing patterns out to 50 yards at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greentrout

Last year was my first with a 20 solely for turkeys as well. I tried Federal TSS and ended up sticking with some old copper plated #6s. Trying Apex this season and waiting for good weather to get out and shoot.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

3bailey3

When you get the sumtoy mount ask William what choke he would recommend, I have shot Apex, Foxtrot and TSS super shot and they are all very close to each other, good luck with your setup and share some pic with us when you get it setup.

Oldmason

I have same gun with FFIII on a Sumtoy mount and Indian Creek choke. I haven't patterned it yet but have some Apex #9

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Happy

I have an SA-20 turkey model. I have the sumtoy mount and a swampfox kingslayer sight. Really happy with both. For a choke, I bought a carlsons non-ported tss choke in .555 constriction and a non-ported in .565 constriction. I tested the .565 first and got 300+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards with both 8.5 and 9 shot in the Apex loads. That was plenty more than I needed, so I never tested any other chokes.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Timer

Quote from: greentrout on January 17, 2023, 11:55:23 AM
Last year was my first with a 20 solely for turkeys as well. I tried Federal TSS and ended up sticking with some old copper plated #6s. Trying Apex this season and waiting for good weather to get out and shoot.

How did the copper plated #6 work out for you?

SteveF

William (Sumtoy), what would you say the difference is between your 562 and 570 at 20 vs 40 yards.  I realize that the 40 will be more open, however, how much difference there is in core/pattern at 15-25 yards?

Thanks.

SumToy

562 Golf/base ball    570 base ball/soft ball.      The 40 yard be more in the 20 with the 570.    Both dead at 40.  How dead is dead?
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3bailey3

Tandin93

Im looking at picking one of these up locally. How do you like it so far?

Tsgman

I am also curious.  After carrying my sons 20 around for him during youth season, the old 870 feels so heavy and long.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk