OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite woods for box and pot calls?

Started by Paulmyr, November 17, 2022, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

I tried this post in the call making section with little interest so I'm going try it here. I'm in the process of stockpiling wood for future call making endeavors. Right now I have access to Catalpa, Mulberry, Ash, Black Walnut, Hard Maple, Oak(red and white), Hackberry, and possibly some Basswood and Cedar. These are all trees I've identified on our property except the cedar. I will be running them through the sawmill during the next year in with the hopes of getting a good stash of wood ready for retirement when I plan to get into call making full force. Until then it will be small efforts here and there when time allows trying to get familiar with these woods and how to work them.

Mostly I'll be stacking and drying choice woods in the preparation for my call making scheme. I'm in the process of building a woodshed and it should be finished by this spring. The plan is to make good sounding calls with less emphasis on how pretty a call is and more emphasis on how pretty it sounds. Meat calls I guess would be the proper terminology.

It should be quite the experience as everything involved in the process will have my fingerprints on it. The wood will be cut, milled, and dried by my hands in a woodshed milled and built by me and the calls will be fashioned in a future woodshop also milled and built by me.

The question I have for all of you is which are your favorite domestic woods for box and pot calls or combinations thereof. I'll be doing most of my work with wood that grows in the north central US.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

greentrout

Walnut and cedar I know work well with both styles of calls you mentioned as well as others. Can make turkey killing tools very easily. I know people have used others like maple and hackberry and hopefully they'll chime in. I have not and can't speak to them.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

3bailey3

Sounds like you have a great plan, few more woods I like cherry, butternut, persimmon and Mahogany

Yoder409

Domestic pot call woods:

Walnut
Cherry
Hard maple
Walnut
Walnut

Domestic box call paddle woods:

Walnut
Cherry
Hard maple
Hop hornbeam
Persimmon
Walnut
Walnut

Domestic box call body woods:

Butternut
Poplar
Eastern Red Cedar
Sassafras
Hard maple
Cherry
Walnut
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

I will add snakewood and apple make one fine call... especially in a hen box

Sir-diealot

Tulipwood, persimmon, Walnut and cedar would be the favorite of what I have for pot calls so far.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

doublespurs21

Petty sure , you are not going to find  a snakewood tree in north central USA,,,,,,,,,,just saying

Paulmyr

Walnut seems to be a popular choice so far. Looks like it might be moving up the priority list.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

NCL

Zobo

I love calls made from these great classic American woods:

Poplar
Walnut
Butternut
Red cedar
Maple
Osage
Cherry
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GregGwaltney

gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Sir-diealot

Very sorry, missed the word domestic the first time I read it, my apologies.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Paul, good luck with your adventure into call-making in your retirement.  It will be interesting to see how it goes for you. 

Prefacing these remarks by stating that I know absolutely nothing about friction call construction, my first thought is that each wood species, depending on its hardness, density, and grain, would require different construction specifications to achieve the desired sound.  Assuming that premise is correct, I suspect that you can spend many a retirement hour sorting all of that out with all of the wood types you plan on experimenting with.   ;D :icon_thumright:

wchadw

Cedar walnut butternut hophorn persimmon popular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

I can only speak intelligently about pot calls at the moment, my boxes are in the R&D stage,lol. Walnut, cherry, poplar, cedar, osage orange, sassafras. I make pots out of all these domestic woods. Z