Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

All time favorite woods for trumpets.......

Started by Tarheel, November 16, 2022, 09:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

I'll have to admit I'm partial to several woods for my trumpets, but I enjoy seeing the woods chosen when others post pictures of trumpets they have made or purchased.  I've been a wood hoarder for over 50 years, but my taste in woods I like for trumpets has changed over the years. Trying to deal with my allergic reaction to the rosewoods may change what I like even more....I like them, but they are getting to be more than I can handle....LOL!  Regardless, I was going through the wood loft and found a few wood pieces I had forgotten I had. Hawaiian Koa is always a good choice for a trumpet........

So what are your wood choice favorites for trumpets if wood prices weren't a consideration stopping the decision?   

tal

In no particular order.. 1) Ironwood 2) Cocus 3) Rosewoods 4) Lignum Vitae 5) Osage 6) ABW 7) Bocote 8) Cocobola
You stated wood but I like some synthetics too

ChesterCopperpot

If I could only have one it'd be osage. Osage and mud cured osage are definitely my favorite domestic. I love ABW and snakewood and lignum on the exotics, but I'd be just fine with nothing but osage all so old they've darkened deep as walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

That is a sweet piece of KOA burl

I like olive wood, could also be just as happy with osage

mmclain

I've turned many many wood species over the years and I am an avid wood hoarder.  I like the feel of black and white ebony, boise de rose, and English Walnut
under a nice sharpened turning tool they are easily turned and simply finished. The most enjoyable wood I've turned is huisache it felt like velvet even before sanding it was fairly dense and very finely grained but easy like butter to turn.   I have no preferences of woods I hunt with.  I use what I have on hand the turkey doesn't seem to care. 

Gobbler428

My favorites are Snakewood, Lignum Vitae, Desert Ironwood and Cocobolo - not in any particular order.

Meleagris gallopavo

I can't say that I have a favorite.  I tend to gravitate towards the harder ebonies.  Cocuswood is on my list because I like the look of the dark, fine grained pieces and it fits the bill for being hard and heavy.  Also like unique woods you don't see often.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

davisd9

Brazilian Rosewood, Lignum, African Blackwood, Ironwood, Pink Ivory
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ol bob

Its hard to beat a nice piece of Olive, or Mopani.

wchadw

Ironwood
Cocuswood
Osage

davisd9

Quote from: ol bob on November 17, 2022, 08:24:15 AM
Its hard to beat a nice piece of Olive, or Mopani.

Mopani has great stone and sound.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

I gave my answer on woods a few posts ago but wanted to add, this is an extremely difficult question to answer is a few ways. How is the list being decided? Sounds, looks, history of wood, a connection to that particular wood, etc? There is just so much more to it than this wood looks great or this wood sounds great. My answer is in no particular order as it will change depending on what side the bed I get out of, but I based my answer on sounds first, history of the wood, and then looks. Anyway, I felt it was important to explain myself and also I like to ramble.

TurkinTone

I have recently become a big fan of Olivewood.

Osage, ABW and Mopani are also at the top of the list.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Terry

That's hard to say. I really enjoy both Genuine and Argentine Lignum, ironwood, Macassar Ebony, Ringed Gidgee, Cocobolo, and African Blackwood. I think my all time favorite though is mud cured Osage. I have Blue Mahoe I really like too now that it's bluing up with age.