News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Corn trenches, how many is really enough

Started by crow, November 11, 2022, 10:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

So it's been a somewhat slow fall turkey season,

just wondering on average how many trenches do you dig before at least 1 or 2 of them start getting hit regularly.

This is not a discussion about corn spreading antifloxens to the population.
Lets limit it to just the facts about length of rows, most effective distance from the blind, and how many turkeys you average off of each trench.

tal

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy

About 8 inches deep and 20 yards long. You should also dig a pit about 5 yards from the end of you trench to stand in. You need to be shooting parallel to the ground to get maximum effectiveness per shot. Or stand on your head if digging a pit is too much work. Also use that high dollar tractor supply corn and not that trashy gas station farmer Fran stuff. Keep it classy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

You need a no - till corn planter to maximize your rows, sometimes you may need curved rows to get them to come around the corner of the field, straight rows don't always work...  :fud: :TooFunny:

GobbleNut

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Another hint:  Save shotgun shells by just putting in a trotline with hooks every foot or so apart.  That way if you happen to exceed the NJ limit of thirty seven per day, you can just throw a few back.  Turkeys are stoopid and you can just catch them again the next day. ...Plus, you don't have to be there to watch the trench all day!  You can just go watch YouTube turkey hunting shows to find out where to go huntin' next spring and you can check your trotline every couple of hours!    ;D

Secondary hint:  Use canned corn for the hooks,...much easier to get the hook into!   :toothy12: :toothy9:

crow

I was expecting responses a little more on the realistic side.

This fall season isn't going to last forever

tal

You "expected" wrong. Have some Perrier....  :TooFunny:

crow

Looks like I'll be rereading  Archibald Rutledge this weekend

eggshell

I have no idea how to answer your question, because I use wheat and soybeans

crow

Quote from: eggshell on November 13, 2022, 06:29:50 AM
I have no idea how to answer your question, because I use wheat and soybeans

Thats a fine line my friend, a fine line.
But everything tastes just a little bit smoother when it's made from corn.

Congrats on your fall gobblers, you had a heck of a season

2eagles

I've never heard of this before. So if I make a trench and a deer shows up, is it ok to shoot it before it eats all of my corn?

crow

Yes

but it could go on your permanent record

crow

Quote from: Happy on November 12, 2022, 04:51:28 AM
About 8 inches deep and 20 yards long. You should also dig a pit about 5 yards from the end of you trench to stand in. You need to be shooting parallel to the ground to get maximum effectiveness per shot. Or stand on your head if digging a pit is too much work. Also use that high dollar tractor supply corn and not that trashy gas station farmer Fran stuff. Keep it classy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Just when you think you know some people, you must be on one of those high dollar bottomland leases, no self respecting mt. boy is digging 8" deep trenches on these rocky ridge tops

Greg Massey

I found some corn one time in some barrels marinating in the hills as i was smelling it, it kind of made me dizzy.... do you think he was going to feed the turkeys?  You know people talk all the time about Wild Turkey ... :TooFunny: