OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I got selected for FL Special Op. Hunts!

Started by Ricochet, November 18, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which FL Special Op. Hunt?

Green Swamp West
0 (0%)
Fisheating Creek East
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: December 18, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Ricochet

OK, I have a slight dilemma! I was actually chosen for 2 Florida Special Opportunity spring turkey hunts in Florida.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Fisheating Creek East starting March 17th and Green Swamp West starting April 14th. So, which one should I choose? I actually hunted Green Swamp West about the same time 3 years ago. So, I know that place but Fisheating Creek sounds really good from what I here. Please help me decide.
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

Ricochet

-JP

ChiefBubba

I'm here in Fl. but haven't hunted either one. One suggestion I would make is go on the one that has the earlier hunt by that I mean you want to hunt the first hunt in the WMA. Those are usually the best hunts. Chief.

Ricochet

Thanks for the input. Fisheating Creek is my main choice now and will probably do Green Swamp West as well. Fisheating has some unique stuff about it and the camp grounds sound much better. Either way I sure hope I bag an Osceola!  :z-guntootsmiley:
-JP

Ricochet

I purchased both permits, so hopefully between the 2 I will bag an Osceola.   :icon_thumright:

I might offload the Green Swamp West permit (permits are transferable) if my Fisheating Creek East hunt is successful.  So, stay tuned till March if you are interested in hunting Osceola down there and I can point you in the right direction there as well.
-JP

gobble157

You lucky dog :) I put in for a couple south Florida hunts for early March. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

gobble157

I live in Destin, FL so I don't know much about either. I've bagged all my Osceolas at Avon Park Bombing Range.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

keyser12ga

Sorry I saw this late, and I see you have purchased both...so good luck!  I would think that Green Swamp West would be a better option as they are coming into the breeding season. 

gob09

timbrhuntr

I hunted a special opps wma last year. I talked to the biologist several times before the hunt. I had the last week. Of the 3 weeks the first was best as all the hunters killed their birds either the first or second day. Most came right to the call.The second hunt was  not 100 percent and a tougher hunt. According to the biologist the birds were henned up and unless you were tight to the roost in the morning you had a poor chance.The third hunt was tough as the birds were a little tight lipped and skiddish.I still managed to kill one though. Also the biologist said that the bird I killed was at least 4 years old but he only weighed 15 lbs. The biologist said if I would have killed him the first week he would have expected him to be close to twenty.  So if you are looking for size the earlier hunt would seem best. This is just my experience and the only time hunted in Florida. I had never seen the area but the biologist was very good at helping out with info. I also was able to go in the day before and scout which really helped. Hope this helps and good luck. 

BigGobbler

Good draws! Green swamp west is your best bet that place is loaded with turkeys. You can drive in  the day before the hunt and scout the area. The area gate is closed to vehicle access walk in or bike in only when there is no hunts. If you want to scout early there is small game hunts in February 24-26 and March 2-4. that the gate will be open.They do a lot of burns in there, its always good turkey hunting. Fisheating creek is good hunting but to get to the  best hunting you need a canoe.

Ricochet

Thanks for the replies...I'm late getting back on here to check.  I will give them both a go, but I still might pass on the Green Swamp West if Fisheating Creek works out.  I hear the wildlife biologist will contact about Fisheating Creek soon or later.
-JP