OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daytime Coon Calling

Started by cwedding, July 11, 2022, 02:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

TurkeyReaper69

Very cool! Looks like I found another hobby/pastime to flush my money down the drain on (while helping out the local turkey population)

mountainhunter1

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on July 12, 2022, 03:12:33 PM
Very cool! Looks like I found another hobby/pastime to flush my money down the drain on (while helping out the local turkey population)

You are right about that TurkeyReaper. Good thing for me is the only thing I will need to add this onto the mix of existing hobbies is an electronic caller. But I feel like we could make a big impact if enough of us got on board with something like this. And we need to do something because the turkeys are disappearing where I live.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

aclawrence

Are you calling these coons down out of the tree or just finding random raccoons that are on the ground?  If they're charging in I can just see one trying to scoot down a big old pine tree as fast as it can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwedding

Quote from: aclawrence on July 13, 2022, 07:37:26 AM
Are you calling these coons down out of the tree or just finding random raccoons that are on the ground?  If they're charging in I can just see one trying to scoot down a big old pine tree as fast as it can.

I think they are in the tree to start. I didn't physically see them come down the tree but I assume they are in a den and then call them down. I was just doing blind set ups. Most of the coons were there within 90 seconds. I basically just would set up, call for 2-3 minutes. Move. Repeat. They were all near water also with it being very dry around here I assumed that would be the case.

aclawrence

Ok cool. This sounds fun!

cwedding

Quote from: aclawrence on July 13, 2022, 09:01:19 AM
Ok cool. This sounds fun!

I had a blast. Planning to try again this weekend. I seemed to have more luck in smaller woodlots near ag fields than I did wandering through the big woods. At least on a per set basis. Killed some both ways. I think you pretty much just have to get that call within 150-200 yards of a coon and it's coming. I had 0 luck on like my first 8-10 sets and was starting to think it was a sham. Then boom 2 in a row.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: cwedding on July 11, 2022, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on July 11, 2022, 04:05:02 PM
Nice!!! I'll have to check the sounds on my caller to see if it has those.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had to purchase and download those sounds from FoxPro website. It was pretty simple

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Bluetooth speaker and use the calls from YouTube or ihunt calls.   Or another app.   Might have that laying around already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yoder409

I've always wondered if it worked as advertised.

I've got a FoxPro Patriot.  If I can just figure out how to get those couple sounds loaded into it, umma have a go at this.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

cwedding

Took a buddy this afternoon for an hour. We killed 2 and missed 1. Had 3 come in on 7 sets. Fox Pro Young Raccoon Distress call was the killer.

60 coons down for 2022

Yoder409

Well................. Guess I'm kinda hosed.  I was thinking raccoons could be shot here year round.  Nope.  Just skunks, possums and weasels.  Coon season doesn't come in til around the 3rd week in October. 

Bummer.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

silvestris

I would kill them year around on my own or leased ground, rules and regulations be damned.  Since the do-gooders killed the fur market, coons are now vermin.  They will come back when the fur market comes back, if it ever does.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ol bob

hawk1958

I trapped over 40 nest predators this spring on our 10 acres. Took a break with the heat but need to start it up again..

I never thought of calling this time of year. I will have to give it a try.