OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daytime Coon Calling

Started by cwedding, July 11, 2022, 02:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwedding

If y'all haven't ever tried calling coons in the daytime in states in which it is legal to do so, you ought to try it. I'm in TN and the season is open right now. No dog necessary!

I did it for the first time this past weekend. Saturday and Sunday produced 8 total coons. 4 per morning. I hunted from about 7AM to 9:30AM both mornings.

These jokers come in literally charging as hard as they can and will attack the call if not shot quick enough. I used a shotgun bc they are seriously full out running in. Shots were between 5-10 yards. Seems like if a coon isn't in your lap in less than 2-3 minutes, it's time to move.

I used a FoxPro Patriot on max volume and the sounds that killed were:

1) FoxPro Young Raccoon Distress
2) MFK Young Coon Distress.

Very fun and easy way to knock off a couple more nest raiders during the summer months. I'm up to 73 total predators for 2022 with 57 raccoons sent to the big cornfield in the sky. Amazing how densely populated the predators are around here. Thinning them out best I can and calling them in is significantly more fun than trapping in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhunter1

Your efforts are much appreciated. I think I could get into that, especially if they come in that hard. I bet I could get my buddies on board with that to see who of us could kill the most (we are seriously too competitive). I appreciate you sharing what you are using to call them. I have a ton of points on a cabelas card and I bet I can get a call like that from them to do what you are doing. Just will need to get a more open choke for that kind of range as all of my guns are pretty much set up to kill turkeys. I should have a modified choke sitting around somewhere, but from what you are saying an improved cylinder might be even better.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

cwedding

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on July 11, 2022, 02:24:40 PM
Your efforts are much appreciated. I think I could get into that, especially if they come in that hard. I bet I could get my buddies on board with that to see who of us could kill the most (we are seriously too competitive). I appreciate you sharing what you are using to call them. I have a ton of points on a cabelas card and I bet I can get a call like that from them to do what you are doing. Just will need to get a more open choke for that kind of range as all of my guns are pretty much set up to kill turkeys. I should have a modified choke sitting around somewhere, but from what you are saying an improved cylinder might be even better.
I had my grandfathers old 870 that has a modified barrel on it and just took a sack full of old shells I had laying around. Mostly duck loads. It killed em stone dead, but pretty much anything will at 5-10 yards I'm pretty sure

ybuck

fantastic!!!
live trapped 1 in my garage last night.....dam racoons!!!urggggg

mountainhunter1

Quote from: cwedding on July 11, 2022, 02:27:04 PM
I had my grandfathers old 870 that has a modified barrel on it and just took a sack full of old shells I had laying around. Mostly duck loads. It killed em stone dead, but pretty much anything will at 5-10 yards I'm pretty sure

I've already called a buddy and ran this idea by him. Looking at a Foxpro  inferno right now while I'm eating a late lunch in the office. This may seriously be something that I could do to help the turkeys around my neck of the woods. I have been wanting to do something, but trapping is not really my thing. But this approach might work.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

cwedding

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on July 11, 2022, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: cwedding on July 11, 2022, 02:27:04 PM

I've already called a buddy and ran this idea by him. Looking at a Foxpro  inferno right now while I'm eating a late lunch in the office. This may seriously be something that I could do to help the turkeys around my neck of the woods. I have been wanting to do something, but trapping is not really my thing. But this approach might work.
Go get em! Those calls this time of year will bring the sows. Apparently during the coon rut months you can entice the boars with a coon fight call. I'll let you know how that goes when I try it out. Feel free to PM if you need any further info

mountainhunter1

I think I am going to give it a whirl. I guess the biggest thing for me will be to just check the regulations for my area about what can and can't be done and at what time of year. A quick call to the DNR can tell the tale on that subject.

I hope that others will see your post and think about doing the same. Just imagine if every turkey hunter on here saw this and went out and duplicated what you are doing. It sounds very doable. The biggest thing for some may be being able to hit a running coon at five steps. I will likely talk to you again at some point. Thanks for the idea.

RutnNStrutn

Nice!!! I'll have to check the sounds on my caller to see if it has those.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cwedding

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on July 11, 2022, 04:05:02 PM
Nice!!! I'll have to check the sounds on my caller to see if it has those.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had to purchase and download those sounds from FoxPro website. It was pretty simple

JeffC

Awesome job cwedding!! The turkeys thank you, and you answered my question, have same caller, will download those sounds.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

wchadw

I just got a similar caller off eBay and I'm going to try it.
I trapped 22 nest predators this spring on 250 acres but still plenty around

tal

Warms a turkey hunter's heart.

nativeks

It is a blast. Our season ended Feb 15 but we are pushing the state to allow it year round now. Coons don't care about volume like others so crank it up. They can wind you so play the wind. Call around den trees, abandoned homes, large brush piles etc. I use a Lucky Duck Roughneck ecaller.

This is a great video of guys calling them in.
https://youtu.be/5Tuwzx6hfeM

bear hunter

Good job keep up the good work.

Greg Massey

Awesome kill all those predators... great idea, and you don't have to feed a bunch of Tennessee Hound dogs ...