OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Colorado Merriams

Started by Terry, August 22, 2022, 11:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I am looking for any info I can get on hunting Merriams on state land in Colorado. Please PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry

Quote from: Terry on August 22, 2022, 11:12:43 AM
I am looking for any info I can get on hunting Merriams on state land in Colorado. Please PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks!

Specifically what part of the state and time of the year(what week during the spring season) to go...

HookedonHooks

Might want to check the pinned threads at the top of this subforum.

the Ward

Lol

GobbleNut

Regarding the timing of your hunt, if you are hunting the higher elevations on National Forest lands, be aware that many of the forest roads do not open until May 1st or later.   :icon_thumright:

Dtrkyman

I would contact Colorado, look into a draw unit, from what I have seen in the OTC units I would be cautious traveling a long distance to participate in that  show!

As gobblenut pointed out forest roads are closed before May 1st, I thought great I can hike in a ways and avoid the crowds, sounds good until 20 guys on e bikes on a road closed to motorized vehicles invade!

If the area I hunt wasn't as close to home as it is I would definitely not go back, I have hunted public in a lot of places and have never seen such pressure, I think residents are required to buy a turkey tag as part of their general license and every trail head anywhere near a flock of birds is busy with ignorant hunters!

Hate to be negative but I typically hunt 4 or 5 states as a non resident each spring and Colorado is the first one I would skip!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on August 23, 2022, 09:14:34 AM
I would contact Colorado, look into a draw unit, from what I have seen in the OTC units I would be cautious traveling a long distance to participate in that  show!

As gobblenut pointed out forest roads are closed before May 1st, I thought great I can hike in a ways and avoid the crowds, sounds good until 20 guys on e bikes on a road closed to motorized vehicles invade!

If the area I hunt wasn't as close to home as it is I would definitely not go back, I have hunted public in a lot of places and have never seen such pressure, I think residents are required to buy a turkey tag as part of their general license and every trail head anywhere near a flock of birds is busy with ignorant hunters!

Hate to be negative but I typically hunt 4 or 5 states as a non resident each spring and Colorado is the first one I would skip!

Dtrkyman also forgot to mention the scarcity of turkeys (at least where we have hunted on public).  My experience there is admittedly limited, but I was personally amazed at how much great looking habitat there is,...and how few turkeys there seems to be in it.  Unless you get someone to tell you exactly where to find turkeys, plan on covering lots of ground to try to find them.   :icon_thumright:

Dtrkyman

Definitely gobblenut, there are birds but in limited spots and evidently everyone knows it! Looking at it you would thnk birds are going to be all over.

I have been successful but put some serious miles on the boots and Jeep!

PM me if you like.

Terry

Serious miles are my thing, although being a northeast guy I am nervous about the thin air.

Thanks for the replies!

Terry

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will be easy. Nor do I want it to be...