turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterning Target/Board?

Started by JUGHEAD, June 15, 2011, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

What kind of setup do you use for patterning turkey guns?  I'm trying to come up with a cheap setup that I can carry back and forth with me to the range.  Right now, I'm leaning toward a 36"x36" piece of particle board that I can staple 36" bond/plotter paper to for each shot.  Rounding up a bunch of big enough pieces of cardboard sux!

gobbler74

You can make a light framed target holder or try to get your hands on a real estate sign frame or similar ad frame that are made for temporary ground placement.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

JUGHEAD

Quote from: gobbler74 on June 15, 2011, 12:02:33 PMYou can make a light framed target holder  
I toyed with the notion of making a simple PVC frame.  My only concern was whether or not the thin paper, spanned across the frame, would perform well enough to count up the results?  Seems like there would a lot of tearing instead of clean holes???

ManshipPlantation

PVC would be a good idea, but not everyday is perfect weather. And a PVC frame with a giant piece on paper might turn into a "boat sail" on a windy day.

And I believe you are correct on the tearing issue!

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: gobbler74 on June 15, 2011, 12:02:33 PM
You can make a light framed target holder or try to get your hands on a real estate sign frame or similar ad frame that are made for temporary ground placement.   

Thats exactly what I use on my range beside my barn; its been shot probally a thousand times between me my son and wifes guns with hevishot,heavyweights and will take alot more.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

gophert

I bought a cardboard project display board ($7.99) at officemax.  It's held up by a couple old golf club shafts ($0). Any stick that goes in the ground will do.  Then attach your paper to the board with staples.  

It's cheap...light and portable....easy replaced when it's shot up.  

JUGHEAD

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 15, 2011, 12:46:59 PMthe carpenter paper is fairly stiff.
I'm not familiar with carpenter paper and am not coming up with anything searching around the web.  Where do you get it and what does it cost?

I was thinking about this paper like we use to plot big drawings at work...$22 shipped to my door for a 36"x150' roll.  That is 50 36"x36" targets:

http://www.shoplet.com/HP-Designjet-Inkjet-Large-Format-Paper/HEWQ1397A/spdv

West Augusta

I use old political signs that they put in the yard.  I always keep them after the election then I go to the Dollar Store and buy cheap wrapping paper and put the pattern side away from me.  Cheap and portatble. A magic marker to make a small target circle and I am ready.  Also use them to sight in the deer rifle.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

njdevilsb

Quote from: JUGHEAD on June 15, 2011, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 15, 2011, 12:46:59 PMthe carpenter paper is fairly stiff.
I'm not familiar with carpenter paper and am not coming up with anything searching around the web.  Where do you get it and what does it cost?

I was thinking about this paper like we use to plot big drawings at work...$22 shipped to my door for a 36"x150' roll.  That is 50 36"x36" targets:

http://www.shoplet.com/HP-Designjet-Inkjet-Large-Format-Paper/HEWQ1397A/spdv

2ounce6s beat me to it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126347-968-35135/25FF_0__?productId=1008367&Ntt=contractors+paper&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcontractors%2Bpaper&facetInfo=

That's what I use.  I made a wooden frame with a 36x36" opening with holes for a dowel to do through near the bottom of the opening to hold the paper roll.  I got the idea from a post from sugarray a while back.  Just have to make sure there is some thick wood in place in front of the roll of paper.

JUGHEAD

Thanks guys!  I knew there had to be a cheaper paper product somewhere, but I couldn't think of what else to try. 

davisd9

I made one for about 15 bucks from two 8ft 2x4 studs.  I cut two 36" pieces of the legs, then 30" pieces for the cross bars, and then 24" for the feet.  With the 12" left over I just nailed it onto the top cross beam. The 30" and 36" could be swapped also, really does not matter.  It works very well actually.  It is light and fits in the back of my explorer. I buy cheap gift wrap paper as my paper.  Here is a quick sketch of what it kinda looks like.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GOLD HUNTER

about $ 8.00 @ lowes and have had it for 5 years...... :you_rock:

Reloader

Here's what I use:

It takes about an hour to make and only cost me $32 including a roll of paper and tax.

Materials needed(Home Depot):

2- 1" PVC Elbows(.44 each)
2- 1"x1"x1" PVC Ts(.56 each)
2- 1"x1/2"x1" PVC Ts(.93 each)
1- 1/2" SC40 PVC Conduit joint 10' (1.09 each)
2- 1" SC40 PVC Conduit joints 10' (2.30 each)
1- Box of 100 #8x1/2" round head sheet metal screws(2.87 each bx)
1- 4" PVC Drain pipe 10' (7.82 each)
1- 35" wide 140 ft roll of contractors paper(9.97 each) (in the paint section)
1- 1x6 fence picket (cheap)
2- Paper clamps(had them on hand, have no idea what they cost)

Cut 2 1" conduits 37-1/4" long
Cut 1 1" conduit 37" long
Cut 1 1/2" conduit 37-1/8" long
Cut 4 1" conduits 10-12" long
Cut 2 1" conduits 2-1/8" long
Cut 1 4" PVC piece 36-3/4" long

37-1/4" 1" pieces are the sides
37 1" is top
37-1/8" is the paper roll axle
4-10" pieces are the feet
2-1/8" piece are just connections from the 1x1/2x1 tees to connect the feet Ts

Assemble all PVC, Square, drill pilot holes slightly smaller than #8 screw at every joint(3 per Tee), screw a screw in every joint hole, cut a slit all the way down the 4" 36-3/4 pipe, insert paper roll and while inserting pull tab of paper through slit and slide roll into pipe, unscrew one side of 1/2" axle and pull from joint, slide paper roll/4" pipe onto axle, reinsert axle in T, replace screw into axle, Drill 3/8" hole in one side of clamp, drill 1/8" hole in other side of clamp, remove one clamp arm on the small hole side, level clamp on top 2" back from elbow, mark through big hole and little hole onto the pipe, drill small pilot hole at marks, insert screw through 3/8 hole and screw to top pipe, cut fence picket 36-7/8"

I did not glue anything incase something breaks you can just replace one piece instead of the hole thing.

Once you set up the target stand prop fence picket 1x6 against the 4" PVC to keep stray pellets from busting the pipe.  You now have a sweet target stand that's light weight and beats the heck out of moving a 3/4" sheet of plywood around.  I have a portable Big Game shooting bench and this set-up is easy to move around to get out of the wind, find a shady spot, take to the camp, etc etc.....

Here's the finish product less the fence picket:

Back:

Front:

I have since covered the side legs and top piece with 1-1/2" EMT as it fit perfectly over the PVC and stops at the elbows. Holds it down in winds and keeps stray pellets from busting the PVC once in a while.

I use this for a portable shooting bench:

Here's a pic of the bench:

and a pic of it folded with a cover:

I don't use the rest that came with it, I use a tripod front rest and rabbit ear rear rest.

Ya'll have a Good One,

Reloader

ILIKEHEVI-13

I still just use cardboard.  But I like the setups here.  Thanks for posting that Ronnie.  That looks like a good setup and light too.

ILIKEHEVI-13

At my range, we have 2 landscape timbers sticking out of the ground about 4 feet apart with woven fencing wire stapled to the poles.  I just use the big paper clips to hang my card board.  2 on the top to hold it up and 1 on the bottom to hold it down so the wind don't blow it.