turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg ssi-1

Started by SWAMPFOX, June 14, 2011, 02:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWAMPFOX

well i finally found the extremely rare moss ssi-1 turkey gun in arizona. got it sent to N.C. and i  am ready to start to work on it. any recomendations on the best recoil pad for it? also i do not like slip on types
swampfox

vaturkey

Limbsaver  !!     :newmascot:

Especially if its a mossberg  !!

Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SWAMPFOX on June 14, 2011, 02:02:32 PM
well i finally found the extremely rare moss ssi-1 turkey gun in arizona. got it sent to N.C. and i  am ready to start to work on it. any recomendations on the best recoil pad for it? also i do not like slip on types
swampfox

I just came in from my range where I shot my SSI-ONE. I put a Truglo "Tru-Point" open red dot sight on the other day and wanted to see how it shot with that and some 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

(I should have gone out earlier in the day because the mosquitoes were terrible and I only fired one shot.)

The Tru-Point is one that you don't see often. It's a higher end sight, very light and mounts very low to the bore. It has 4 MOA dot that automatically adjusts for ambient light conditions. I did a very quick bore sighting, easy with the SSI-ONE and it was actually right on with the bore.

I just put a Shooter's Friend over the factory pad and it worked well for me. I suspect that you'd need to choose a grind to fit model of the Limbsaver (my choice) for this gun. Looking through the 2011 catalog, I don't see one made specifically for it. I can pull the existing pad and use the templates in the catalog to see if there's one that matches, if that would be of help to you.

By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil with that shell. I had not shot this gun in a while and my memory was that it was a real kicker.

It turns out I need to raise the sights just a bit because a good bit of my pattern was off the paper but it still put 146 in 10" at 40 yards. Not too bad for such a short barreled gun that really needs its barrel to be deep cleaned.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SWAMPFOX

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SWAMPFOX on June 15, 2011, 11:58:47 AM
thanks, clark!

You're welcome. I pulled the rubber butt pad off my SSi-ONE and used the template in the 2011 Limbsaver catalog to measure the butt. The "Part # 10001" is a perfect fit. I plan to order one of those for my gun later today. I'll install that and at least for bench work and if I take it to a still target shoot, I'll slip a SF over that.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."