OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 shooters

Started by duxrus, May 26, 2022, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duxrus

I have been shooting my 835 Mossberg since the beginning of time and the Hevi 13  I've used for years has been discontinued. My supply is running out so going to make the jump over to tss. What shot, brand, and choke combo's are you using ? I appreciate your input

Thx 

C-Train

I have had very good luck with a Jebs head hunter choke and Federal 3rd Degree ammo

CowHunter71

Curious, what is the weight on them old school ulti mags.

callmakerman

I'm going to try a Carlson with Federal heavy weight tss. May end up trying Jeb's to as a friend says it's the way to go. 835 Ulti Mag is around 11 lbs with red dot I think and they kick like a mule.

ScottTaulbee

I haven't tried tss in mine but when I bought it (16 or 17) I tried every choke on the market at the time that you could get at cabela's or sportsmen's warehouse. None of them impressed me, I bought a sumtoy custom and it's never came out of the barrel since. I tried every 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shell from Winchester, Remington, fiocchi, federal, etc. All that you could get from a big box store back when ammo was plentiful and the longbeard xr #5 3 1/2" patterned the best for me with the sumtoy choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

I'm an avid Mossy guy.  IMPO the Mossy delivers some of the BEST patterns available.  It does have a couple of flaws but they FLATOUT shoot with most loads and chokes, Period.  My 835 with a .670 Pure Gold choke and 3 1/2 Hevi 7's will put up GREAT patterns in the 300 plus range every day.  I have enough Hevi 7's to last my lifetime but if I had to switch to another load it would be Longbeard 6's.  IMO TSS is a waste of money in any 12 gauge in 3 or 3 1/2 inch offerings.  Why you ask, 1. IT isn't necessary to kill turkeys at respectable ranges since 90 plus percent of turkeys are killed inside 40 yards. 2. cost $$.  TSS has leveled the playing field with a 20 or .410 and I'm ALL in for these smaller gauges.  I would suggest if you Really want to switch to TSS, check out the 12 GA Mossberg pattern Pics posts.  This section will give you a Great starting point with load and choke and most show actual pattern Pics.  I wish you the Best with your search.  Good Luck.   

Spring Creek Calls

I sold my 835 several years ago but if I was still shooting it I'd go with a 2-3/4" TSS #9. Apex, Burgess Creek and Foxtrot all offer a 2-3/4" TSS load. Start with the choke that's in the gun. I shoot FoxTrot Mini Twisters in my Model 12 thru a .675 Briley choke.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

bbcoach

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 27, 2022, 12:42:22 PM
I sold my 835 several years ago but if I was still shooting it I'd go with a 2-3/4" TSS #9. Apex, Burgess Creek and Foxtrot all offer a 2-3/4" TSS load. Start with the choke that's in the gun. I shoot FoxTrot Mini Twisters in my Model 12 thru a .675 Briley choke.
Great advice Mike!!!  I haven't thought of the 2 3/4 TSS since I haven't seen much advertising of the 2 3/4 inch offerings for the 12.  I'll take a look at these myself.  Something to think about.

cuttinAR

I can't let go of my 835.  I've got a 20 for the kids but the extra weight doesn't bother me and it's kinda like a part of me during turkey season I've had it so long.

To answer your question I shoot an Indian Creek choke and 3" 2-1/4 #9 apex.  Really nice patterns, maybe a bit tighter than I'd like at 20 and in.  If I ever decide to switch anything it would be to a sumtoy choke but I don't have any reason to.  It's a great setup and awesome turkey gun.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: duxrus on May 26, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
I have been shooting my 835 Mossberg since the beginning of time and the Hevi 13  I've used for years has been discontinued. My supply is running out so going to make the jump over to tss. What shot, brand, and choke combo's are you using ? I appreciate your input

Thx

What Hevi were you using? If I may ask ;)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

rakkin6

The setup in my 835 is an Indian Creek
.675 constriction choke. I get great patterns from the Apex 3" 2 1/4 ounce #9 and also from the Apex 3" 2 1/4 ounce of 7.5/9 blend. I got really good results with the same setup and Burgess Creek straight #9 and there blend also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

RutnNStrutn

I personally don't shoot an 835, but several of my friends do. They shoot Winchester Hi-Velocity 3-1/2" #5 shells through the Mossberg factory turkey choke (which I believe is an extra full). All of them have routinely killed gobblers between 50-60 yards WITHOUT using TSS.
Makes you wonder what they could do with TSS.

bbcoach

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 28, 2022, 02:29:22 AM
I personally don't shoot an 835, but several of my friends do. They shoot Winchester Hi-Velocity 3-1/2" #5 shells through the Mossberg factory turkey choke (which I believe is an extra full). All of them have routinely killed gobblers between 50-60 yards WITHOUT using TSS.
Makes you wonder what they could do with TSS.

My point EXACTLY with TSS and 12 gauges!  Definitely overkill with Todays guns, loads and chokes.

Old Timer

Quote from: CowHunter71 on May 26, 2022, 07:43:12 PM
Curious, what is the weight on them old school ulti mags.
My 835 weights in at 9lbs with scope and sling. And it`s a beast to carry but gets the job done well. Funny deal is I have a Mossberg SA20 but never got it dialed in because I got hit with the Covid. So after season is over I will take care of that.

Old Timer

Quote from: duxrus on May 26, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
I have been shooting my 835 Mossberg since the beginning of time and the Hevi 13  I've used for years has been discontinued. My supply is running out so going to make the jump over to tss. What shot, brand, and choke combo's are you using ? I appreciate your input

Thx
To answer your question you could use  2 3/4 inch TSS. But it well my be overkill. You could go to a 20 and keep your 835 for a backup if your finances allow. Good luck with your decision.