turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Michigan Late Season

Started by kennedyh1990, May 29, 2022, 05:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennedyh1990

Anyone ever hunt the wolverine state this late in the year? Really not ready to give it up and considering making one last run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mihunte

I live in MI, so I've hunted until the end of may several times. Haven't done the June thing yet because they just added it last year. Kinda like late season everywhere - can be great some days and some days they just aren't fired up.

If you do come, bring a thermacell or two

kennedyh1990

Thank you a ton for the tip. Didn't realize mosquitos were bad up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mihunte

Good luck if you come up. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions

Spring Creek Calls

Don't expect much gobbling but there are birds still playing the game, but they are the exception. Mosquitoes are just beginning to be a problem and will get worse daily with temps increasing.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BBR12

It's been bad since the weather came through. First day last week youngest son killed one and were really close for my other son to get one about 2 hours later until we got messed up by atv riders. The wind and clouds moved in that evening, rain the next 2 days and we haven't found a bird that wants to do anything since.  Most are still with hens that we have seen in fields.

Definitely bring the thermacell mosquitoes are horrendous in places, bad bad most everywhere else.

GobbleNut

Yep,...hunted there for the first time last year in late May.  The mosquitos made hunting absolutely miserable!  Take every precaution you can to prepare for that.  If you are not used to hunting in places where you have to deal with mosquitos (like me), you will regret not being prepared for what you are about to face!   ::)

Dtrkyman

Lot's of swamp land in that state, have been fortunate to hunt there just prior to the mosquito invasion.  I grew up in Illinois, and when they come out it is no joke!

I killed a bird in a river bottom last year there, can't imagine the Mosquito population there once they hatch!

redleg06

Been up there late season - More mosquitos and other hunters than turkey, by a long shot. It seemed like everyone else had the same idea of getting up there to extend their season. Good luck if you go- bring a thermocell or two