OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Easy trumpet to use?

Started by DirtNap647, May 23, 2022, 02:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 25, 2022, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 25, 2022, 12:48:26 PM
So my question is, why would anyone choose a mouthpiece with a smaller bore?  Does a smaller bore (takes more air to run) offer something a larger bore doesn't?
A smaller hole in the mouthpiece tends to pitch higher (why hen radiuses are so much higher in pitch than gobbler bones). In theory the smaller hole should take LESS air to run but I don't know that I find that to be particularly true, at least not with trumpets (think other aspects weigh more heavily on ease of play with trumpets). With wingbones maybe; hen or snow goose seems to require less air to me than gobbler radiuses. But with trumpets, something like Anthony Ellis' x-trumpet will inherently require less air than some less finely tuned calls regardless of whether his mouthpiece is bored out slightly larger or not. It's just tuned and dialed to require very, very little air. If I were to guess why a beginner might find it easier to play a call with a larger mouthpiece ID I would bet my a$$ it's because they're drawing too much air. The smaller diameter hole would be less forgiving and they'd likely blow the call out, but the larger diameter, requiring MORE air to run, would prove more forgiving to them drawing too much air. They wouldn't blow the call out as easily. I've helped a lot of people try to learn to run a yelper and not once in all that time have I ever had to tell a beginner to draw MORE air. They always suck air like they're about to go free diving for clams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good explanation.  Thanks!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Zobo

Quote from: Bedge7767 on May 25, 2022, 11:16:32 AM
Ride over to my house and you can run trumpets made by about 45 different makers. Really see what you like.

45 makers? Coming over with a 12 pack, a box of alcohol wipes and a CPAP machine, lol!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Zobo on May 25, 2022, 07:42:21 PM
45 makers? Coming over with a 12 pack, a box of alcohol wipes and a CPAP machine, lol!

Bedge7767

Quote from: Zobo on May 25, 2022, 07:42:21 PM
Ride over to my house and you can run trumpets made by about 45 different makers. Really see what you like.

Come on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jim

larry9988

A call with a larger bore mouth piece does tend to have lower pitch than the same call would have with a smaller bore mouth piece. Since the larger bore is easier to play, you can just make your call shorter and the pitch comes back up and the call is easier to play to boot. A great example of what I have been describing in this post is how difficult it is to play an old Latham or Inman Turpin trumpet I have. The call has a very small bore in the mouth piece, it's not much more than 1/16", and I can not play it to suit my ear at all. I'm no Mark Prudhoome, but can play okay, and a little larger bore mp is easier for most people to play, especially starting out. You can always graduate down in bore size if you like, but I have seen several people give up on trumpets very quickly simply because of the small diameter of the mp bore.

DirtNap647

Would I be drawing air wrong if I get my sound off of right sound of mouth rather then center

Bedge7767

Quote from: DirtNap647 on May 28, 2022, 08:39:12 PM
Would I be drawing air wrong if I get my sound off of right sound of mouth rather then center

A lot of people draw air off to the side.
Jim

Chris O

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 24, 2022, 09:43:33 PM
Bottom line is get one trumpet and learn to run it. Every makers call runs a little different. If you practice constantly with it , you will learn it. One you get the proper air draw down , you can run any of them. Sure , some draw easier than others , but it you spend the time with ONE trumpet , you will build confidence and become better.
Well said I agree. I jumped all over the place when I first started with different makers calls. I do enjoy playing many different calls but for me now if I wanted to be the best player I could possibly be .I would only play 1 call and play the guts out of it. I notice subtle differences when I switch calls during turkey season on what makes this certain call sound better.After I spend a couple days with it I switch calls and have to learn the minimal difference of the new call. It's not hard but I can tell when I only play 1call for an extended amount of time. I do have a few favorites and those are the ones I can play soft the easiest !!!

West Augusta

45?  You sell some?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
You do have some of the best from some of the best makers in the business my friend.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Bedge7767

Quote from: West Augusta on June 04, 2022, 07:58:55 AM

45?  You sell some?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
You do have some of the best from some of the best makers in the business my friend.

I sold one.  ;D
Jim

Ranger

"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Bedge7767

Jim

ol bob

You need to buy 2 to make up for it.

Bedge7767

Jim

mmclain

Too large is as bad as too small.  There is a point of diminishing return in both directions.  Too little air is as bad as too much. It's balance of IDs  and moderation of air flow along the entire length of the barrel in relation to the stem .