turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New project Gun

Started by Fastcat, June 12, 2011, 08:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I picked up a Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Ducks Unlimited edition yesterday for 150 bucks!  It has a 28 inch barrel threaded for win-choke tubes.  I would like to have it set up to be my back up gun for next year.  I have very little invested in this gun.  Thinking of putting a Kicks .660 or .655 in it.  Or maybe giving Indian creek a try.  I currently have a Truglo GSX for this thread.  So my question is how many guys are shooting a 1300, and what load/choke combos are you using?  I really like the fact that even though this gun wears a 28 inch barrel its still lighter than my 870 twenty gauge!

savduck

My best hunting partner has shot them for years. He is has some of the old 2 oz Active 6s that he shoots. He also likes the winchester HV 6s. I think he is shooting a tru glo turkey choke.
Georgia Boy

allaboutshooting

The best shell I've found for that gun is the 3" Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of #6 shot and Win-Choke threaded SSX. However the new Hevi-13 choke is also a good one with that combo.

Randy Lewis was a still target shooter that only shot 1300s and had some amazing patterns with them. I would recommend that you deep clean the bore. It really helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

2ounces6 shot one for a good while and took many turkeys with it and I know he is willing to help any way he can.  Great fellow!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Fastcat

Limbsaver is probably good advice. I seem to remember these light 12 gauges can pack a punch. My new gun with its 28 inch tube weighs a full pound less than my 835 with only a 24 inch barrel!

TnTurk

I'm shooting HS 3-2-7 and getting 220 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards using a PG .670 and 22 inch barrell. The 20 inch pattern is somewhere around 220 as well.  A very nice looking pattern at 40 yards from a 3 inch gun, IMO.

pullit

For $150, don't see how you could go wrong!