OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roll Crimping!

Started by Canadian, April 03, 2022, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

Hey all! I recently got into loading my own turkey shells and got to roll crimping for the first time today! I used a drill press set to around 290 rpm, and made sure to lubricate the tops of my hulls before crimping. In the homemade vice i made, i was able to set up 3 shells at a time, and would roll an old spent shell to warm the bit up before proceeding to the good loads. The crimps looked 'good' as they were evenly rolled, and didnt bulge at the top. However, the crimps were surprisingly 'flat' on top, instead of the 'round' factory roll crimps i had seen in the past. Is this 'ok' and typical for home rolled shells, or does anybody have any tips or advice that can help point me in the right direction?

Ill try to include photos in the comments section, as the file is to big to include it in the main message.

Thanks fellas!
Travis

Canadian

Let me know if thelink doesnt work.

Jstocks

Way better looking than most of my crimps. I use a handheld drill and I don't have a speed setting . Don't overthink it. They'll do just fine.

BandedSpur

Looks like that crimp was made with a BP tool, and if so, is the nature of the beast. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that tool or the crimps it makes, but if you want nicely rounded crimps, buy a Precision Reloading tool.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Jstocks

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 04, 2022, 07:33:26 AM
Looks like that crimp was made with a BP tool, and if so, is the nature of the beast. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that tool or the crimps it makes, but if you want nicely rounded crimps, buy a Precision Reloading tool.

GAEP for prettier rolls. Antique hand tools I hear make the pretty crimps.

Canadian

Thanks for the feedback fellas! I guess that the problem was my expectations - that it 'should' look the same as all of the store bought ones. And it was a BP crimping tool! If thats how its supposed to look, and my patterns continue to perform consistantly, then i have no problem at all with them looking that way. After all, performance is more important to me than beauty.
Thanks again guys.
Cheers

DocHolliday

Your flat crimps are a direct result of using a BP crimper. They are fine and should function  great. Don't worry, shoot.

As said above if you want pretty GAEP or antique.

chipper

Just as said above Ballistic products crimper, they will shoot fine, the crimper from Precision reloading or Gaep give the rounded roll. Shoot away and have no worries .

Canadian

Thanks guys! Appreciate it.