OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Soft talk/tree talk Call

Started by Rtr1987, April 02, 2022, 07:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferocious calls

Used to use a slate for tree talk. Until I tried it with one of my boxes. The tree talk is some of the best of the day.

Rtr1987

I carry a wingbone I made. I've never considered it for soft stuff. Does anyone know of a good video or sound file on soft talk with a trumpet or wingbone? Thanks guys!

culpeper

I use a copper pot built by Frank Kruer.  It's too deep to use as a regular pot call, but before last season I messed around with it and discovered that it offers remarkable tree talk and feeding sounds by playing the edges with with super small short strokes.  It then became responsible for harvesting 2 great gobblers in the late season.  It now has a permanent place in my vest.

Marc

Well-made scratch box call
A good box call
A mouth call that works well for you.

Those are my three main calls I carry, and can do soft yelps on all of them...

Heck, If I think I can do it without scaring them, I hold a box call over my head standing up, and do a soft tree call...  If I use a wing for a fly-down, I try to bring it from a high spot to a low spot.

Birds sound different on the ground to me than in a tree, and I have to think that it does to turkeys as well.  And, I have fallen asleep behind a log or cover, only to be dramatically awaken by a gobbling bird right beside me (that I called to some time ago), so I know they can pinpoint sound and location quite well.

More and more, I call less and less at birds on the roost though...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

gobblers roost

Quote from: paboxcall on April 02, 2022, 09:32:49 PM
Generally, hard to beat a slate pot and a soft wood striker for that job.
What about snoody little hand slate call?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk