turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which Trumpet

Started by TN-Hunter, April 01, 2022, 11:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN-Hunter

I am looking to get a trumpet call. I generally hunt with pot calls that I make or diaphragm calls. And just want to try a trumpet I have never used one and understand the learning curve can be pretty big.but I want to start out with a call that I know is good, Before I waste a lot of time learning on a call that well is hard to use or not built right! Who's call would you guys recommend. I have looked at a lot of different ones but don't know! Any help will be appreciated.Thanks.

Mathews.1

Shoebuck on here makes a fine trumpet and the price is right.

Tsgman

I will second Shoebuck.  I just made the same jump to learning a Trumpet, so my experience is very limited.   I recieved the trumpet 2 weeks ago and feel like I will hunt with it some this year, although it wont be my first call.  Sometimes it's all turkey,  and other times I sound like a squirrel.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fishr64

Quote from: Mathews.1 on April 01, 2022, 11:42:14 AM
Shoebuck on here makes a fine trumpet and the price is right.

Agreed!! Dave is good people and nice guy to boot.

ChesterCopperpot

Greg Gwaltney, [mention]gergg [/mention]on here. Look at where he placed at Grand Nationals if that's any verification you need, but he's one of the finest callmakers at work, a champion of this forum, and his calls are very affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Strutter

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 01, 2022, 01:09:50 PM
Greg Gwaltney, [mention]gergg [/mention]on here. Look at where he placed at Grand Nationals if that's any verification you need, but he's one of the finest callmakers at work, a champion of this forum, and his calls are very affordable.

I fully agree with everything said here.  Absolutely fantastic workmanship and sound. Up for my fourth from him.

Boykin Hollow

Greg or Misfire.  Both are easy to run both will not break the bank and both are full of turkey.  I just got my snakewood in from Greg this week.  He is not backed up on orders and he takes care of business.

davisd9

Contact Mr. Lewis Stowe or Ralph Permar and get on his list.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

RLAG

Before buying mine a few months back, I played probably 15 different makers trumpets and my favorites were misfire, Buice, Bob Buckner matt mcclain and AGE. That said, I have not tried Gergg's trumpets but people speak highly of them. I ended up buying a misfire because it was the easiest to draw air through

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chris O

You can't beat Shoebuck and LabsRusll on here  . They will give you the best bang for your $$$. These guys calls are super affordable but they are not cheap calls they are dang nice calls !!!!! All of the guys mentioned are great as well but a little higher priced but well with in reach.

Aaron Johnson

Meleagris gallopavo

I read about how hard they are to use but I picked up on it pretty quickly, or at least I think so.  Haven't hunted one yet.  My biggest problem is how they tickle my lips.  Can't run one very long.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

mmclain

Quote from: TN-Hunter on April 01, 2022, 11:35:13 AM
I am looking to get a trumpet call. I generally hunt with pot calls that I make or diaphragm calls. And just want to try a trumpet I have never used one and understand the learning curve can be pretty big.but I want to start out with a call that I know is good, Before I waste a lot of time learning on a call that well is hard to use or not built right! Who's call would you guys recommend. I have looked at a lot of different ones but don't know! Any help will be appreciated.Thanks.

I see you are from TN call me I live in Dover TN.

EZ

Quote from: mmclain on April 01, 2022, 11:12:21 PM
Quote from: TN-Hunter on April 01, 2022, 11:35:13 AM

I see you are from TN call me I live in Dover TN.

To the OP.....if you can hook up with a guy like Matt, your learning curve will be infinitely shortened.

TJR

I got my first trumpet from Brian Mero a month or so ago and pretty much haven't put it down practicing. It paid off and used it last week to call in my first Osceola. I can recommend a Mero trumpet ! Beautiful call, easy to play and Brian was awesome to work with!