OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Guns

Started by WillieEStroud, April 01, 2022, 04:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillieEStroud

What is the best guns for turkey hunting? Where do you aim a turkey?

ChesterCopperpot

Given the efficacy of modern loads, most any shotgun properly choked will pattern well enough to kill gobblers at ethical ranges. .410, 20ga, 12ga, pick your poison. Whatever you choose, pattern that gun and know what it's capable of. Plenty of good info in the turkey guns section of the forum. Lots of incredibly knowledgeable people.

As for POA, most consensus is the base of the neck. And you want to wait till the moment the gobbler lifts his head (not when he's strutting, not when he's gobbling, not when he's pecking around). A soft cluck on a mouth call is usually plenty to get him to stop and get his head up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 01, 2022, 05:29:49 AM
Given the efficacy of modern loads, most any shotgun properly choked will pattern well enough to kill gobblers at ethical ranges. .410, 20ga, 12ga, pick your poison. Whatever you choose, pattern that gun and know what it's capable of. Plenty of good info in the turkey guns section of the forum. Lots of incredibly knowledgeable people.

As for POA, most consensus is the base of the neck. And you want to wait till the moment the gobbler lifts his head (not when he's strutting, not when he's gobbling, not when he's pecking around). A soft cluck on a mouth call is usually plenty to get him to stop and get his head up.

X2!!!

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

MK M GOBL

Some of mine are dedicated turkey guns, some serve double duty.

Gauge is just a choice, they will all kill a turkey.

My every day gun is my old custom Rem 11-87 SP 12ga.

And I kill turkeys with the shotgun with the crosshairs right on the major caruncles (Where skin meets feather on the neck)

"Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL