only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who makes best custom wingbone?

Started by DocHolliday, March 29, 2022, 11:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snood Life

The Woodsman

Hey Doc,
Mike Lapp made me a really nice one from a hen I got a few years ago.

Denny

Chris O

Quote from: silverspur on March 30, 2022, 08:08:52 PM
I agree there is no one best Wingbone Callmaker. Those that where mentioned mage fantastic caller. Carl LaRue and Andy Snair make awesome ones. The late Lee Bowles made good ones. I am partial to EZ since I have more of his wingbones than others. Call a Callmaker and here there calls and decide what you like vs what someone else may tell you. Everyone runs calls differently.
I agree with there isn't really a best call maker we just all like different things about calls so there is so many opinions. Most of my wingbones are from Tony Ezolt and Kevin Rouse from Bent creek wingbones and I have total confidence in both makers. I have called in a lot of birds with with both of their calls. Steve Finney also makes a sweet Wingbone.

topnotch

mountainhunter1

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 30, 2022, 08:52:17 PM
Hey Doc,
Mike Lapp made me a really nice one from a hen I got a few years ago.

Denny

Beautiful Call!
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mountainhunter1

Quote from: DocHolliday on March 29, 2022, 11:51:52 AM
Particularly using hen bones!

I know this is not what you asked and maybe you are already building some good wing bones and just want to buy a couple to add to your collection - but if you have not considered making your own, there are really pretty easy to make from your own kills. Some states do not allow a fall season where hens are shot, and that may be your situation, but if that is the case a store bought bird will also work just fine believe it or not. I have built a hand full in recent years and if I can do it anyone can. And the best part, the birds seem to love them thus far.

I feel with trumpets it is a bit different and I tip my hat to them for the secrets they figure out in their air chambers and that is what sets them apart many times. Yet, it seems to me that a wingbone is touch more of a call where practice is what makes you get the sound you want more so than a perfect air chamber. Trumpet guys please do not stone me - I know they also take a lot of practice as I have both.

If you are not currently building any wingbones and want to give it a shot, a fellow poster on here, Catman - he has a very user friendly video on you tube about how to build your own. Just a thought - good luck either way.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

DocHolliday

EZ

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 02, 2022, 10:28:01 AM
Quote from: DocHolliday on March 29, 2022, 11:51:52 AM
Particularly using hen bones!

I know this is not what you asked and maybe you are already building some good wing bones and just want to buy a couple to add to your collection - but if you have not considered making your own, there are really pretty easy to make from your own kills. Some states do not allow a fall season where hens are shot, and that may be your situation, but if that is the case a store bought bird will also work just fine believe it or not. I have built a hand full in recent years and if I can do it anyone can. And the best part, the birds seem to love them thus far.

I feel with trumpets it is a bit different and I tip my hat to them for the secrets they figure out in their air chambers and that is what sets them apart many times. Yet, it seems to me that a wingbone is touch more of a call where practice is what makes you get the sound you want more so than a perfect air chamber. Trumpet guys please do not stone me - I know they also take a lot of practice as I have both.

If you are not currently building any wingbones and want to give it a shot, a fellow poster on here, Catman - he has a very user friendly video on you tube about how to build your own. Just a thought - good luck either way.

As much as I agree with you that building your own call can be enjoyable and fun, I'll disagree about a couple of things. #1 I would never suggest using domestic turkey bones. They are just too soft. Yeah, you could make a passable call, but it would be like making a box out of soft pine, IMHO.

#2 Not so much disagreement as another way of looking at it. A good wingbone builder puts as much thought into the air chambers, the I.D.s, the lengths and ratios. It's not just slapping three bones together, just as building a real good trumpet isn't just chucking a piece of wood in the lathe and drilling holes.
A wingbone builder builds a different call every single time because every set of bones is different and his goal is to build the best, easiest running call possible whether using gobbler, jake or hen bones and every variance of size among them.

It's certainly not rocket science and I also encourage folks to make their own call if they so desire. Just wanted to point out that coming up with a great running wingbone is no accident.

tal

Good information and well said. I tried once with domestic birds and besides my lack of talent the bones were like putty.

wchadw

I only have one wingbone. It's by EZ. I will say he builds a good one.
Killed a bird yesterday with it. Pretty sure they came a ways to get to me. Looks good and sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number17

I found out that Tony Ezolt lives about 1.5 hours from me here in Pennsylvania. We talked turkey over the phone and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse for one of his prize winning wingbones.
It's an incredible work of art with a pure turkey sound to match. He said, "Stop telling me how pretty it is. It's a Death Tool. Remember that. Death Tool." LOL
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Muzzy61

Quote from: Number17 on April 04, 2022, 10:11:59 AM
I found out that Tony Ezolt lives about 1.5 hours from me here in Pennsylvania. We talked turkey over the phone and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse for one of his prize winning wingbones.
It's an incredible work of art with a pure turkey sound to match. He said, "Stop telling me how pretty it is. It's a Death Tool. Remember that. Death Tool." LOL

I'm sure they are a "Death tool", but they are kind of pretty.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

gobbler336

Could somebody message me his contact info ?

The Woodsman

Herb Hornstra made this call for me

EZ