OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Temperature affect POI?

Started by WyoHunter, June 09, 2011, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

It's an accepted fact that temperature affects how well a shotgun/load pattern. My question is has anyone noticed if temperature variances affect POI?   :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WyoHunter on June 09, 2011, 06:20:34 PM
It's an accepted fact that temperature affects how well a shotgun/load pattern. My question is has anyone noticed if temeprature variances affect POI?   :cowboy:

I have not, at least not that I can quantify. I should add however that the engineers at Winchester performed extensive studies of shotshells in many different weather conditions. They found that powder charges were effected by temperature extremes and that penetration was much less on cold days for example. That had to do with air density and powder burn.

Since most of the shotgunning world is looking for 30" circles with even patterns and not the smaller more dense patterns we turkey hunters desire. there's really no information on POI in those studies, except as it relates to the effect of wind.

That work was done many years ago (with lead and steel shot) and much has been learned by ammo makers in the intervening years.  Powders are more specific to use, wads have been improved and of course we now have tungsten-based shot.

I would suspect and certainly not argue the fact that temperature extremes could effect the POI for all kinds of reasons, I've just not experienced that or if I have, I have not recognized it for what it is.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

savduck

I bet it does. The gun is metal. Metal expands and contracts with temperature. I would think  expansion and contraction against the stock or at the choke may slighty alter the POI. Cold air is also more dense than hot air. The heavier air would have to drag on the pellets a little.
Georgia Boy

dirt road ninja

Never have seen any notiable difference on mine. Checked it in Feb. it was around 45 degrees and shot it again this past weekend near 100 degrees POI was the same.

VAHUNTER

have never seen a POI change due to the temp with a shotgun. i have seen changes while rifle shooting with ammo that was kept in the shade v/s ammo setting in direct sun
Good things come to those who wait